[ Part I ] Chapter 1: It came from space

"... In other news, a meteorite has struck an unpopulated zone of Colorado last night, near Windsor.

       "Meteorologists report to have been tracking this meteorite for a while now, and they claim to have already been on the scene when it hit. From what they've released so far we know that the meteor had already been small before entering the atmosphere, and by the time it actually hit it'd been no larger than a grapefruit. Its impact shouldn't have been enough to wake the nearest locals, but regardless we've received a report that an incident occurred while the first tests were being taken on the extraterrestrial rock.

    "More information on what exactly happened will be shared as it's received, and while locals are assured that there's no need to worry, it's still been advised not to wander alone at night, or go looking for the crash site. . ."

      Along with the whirring of the poor lone fan trying to keep the room cool, the muggy air of the living room is also filled with the voices coming from the dimmed television. The channel has been left on the news, as no one has bothered to change it, even though the lone occupant of the couch isn't even watching it. Instead, the little eight-year-old boy is engrossed in his shoes, tying them and retying them until they're absolutely perfect in his eyes, just as he wants them.

     Today is his big day, after all; he has to get everything just right. Today he's finally going to do it.

      "Mom!" Joshua Gonzalo calls loudly as he hops off of the couch, snatching his bicycle helmet off of the coffee table as he darts past. "Momma, can I go outside?"

     He's really only asking to let her know he's leaving, because he knows she hates it when he just goes. He watches as his mother looks up from the book she's reading at a kitchen table, and she gives him a smile. "Of course, dear, just come back inside if you get too hot."

    Joshua nods eagerly with a wide grin, turning to bolt out of the house immediately.

      "And don't leave the neighborhood!" His mother adds quickly, but it's too late. Her son's exit had already been punctuated by the slam of the screen door behind him. With a knowing chuckle, she shakes her head as she returns to the novel in her hands.

      Outside, Joshua eagerly straps the helmet on his head as he runs to the garage to get his bike, regardless of the heat beating down on him from the hot sun above. All the other kids on his block can ride their bikes already, and it's about time he catches up with the group. He's practically buzzing with excitement as he rolls his bicycle down the driveway, and he can't stop thinking that this is it; he's going to get it right on the first try this time, he just knows it.

      His previous attempts to ride have already been forgotten — the ones that lead to his scraped knees and palms and fits of tears that had ultimately earned him an ice cream sandwich from the ice cream truck. Instead his attention now only focuses on the present, as he determinedly stands ready to mount his bike. With one last slow breath out, Joshua shifts his weight from the leg holding him up on the ground to the leg on the bike's pedal, quickly moving his other leg to follow onto the other pedal.

     Having learned from his previous mistakes, he instantly leans forward and pushes at the pedals to move himself forward, his grip on the handlebars tight. He wobbles for a frighteningly long moment, until he steadies out and his movements push him off his driveway and onto the street of their cul-de-sac. Joshua's eyes widen with shock and pride, and an excited laugh bubbles up from his chest as he doesn't topple over. He soon pumps his legs harder to speed down the bumpy street, with the exhilarating feeling of cool wind rushing through his hair and against his face combating the heat of the summer sun's rays.