Final Author's Note

I don't even really know how to begin this. Wow. We're finally here. If you're reading this, you're probably aware by now that this novel has been in the works for four years now. I started it as a freshman in high school, a kid younger than Joshua and thinking I knew what it was like to be seventeen and anxious. Boy, did I have a lot to learn, haha!

But here I am now, on the other end of this thing, far older and heading off to university in less than a week and just: understanding of more than ever before, linearly speaking. I can't help but look back and be proud of how this thing turned out! It's rough at spots, don't get me wrong, and I can't wait to dive into the rewrite with all my new ideas for how I want this thing to go. But still, part of me could barely imagine I'd ever finish this monster of a project (pun intended, haha). Yet, and I can't stress this enough: we're here anyway.

It's kind of blowing my mind!

(Honestly, for years, I've known the end of the story would take us here, to this grave, with these two together, in this moment. I just... wasn't always sure how we were going to get there! Ultimately, however, I'm proud of the growth Sundo and Joshua both made along the way, even if it was rough at patches. Because here they are: poppies and daisies. Flowers for peace in death and restful sleep + recovery, for new beginnings and true love. I'm a big sap, ngl, and I couldn't help but find the meanings of these wildflowers he would have picked anyway!)

In any case, I suppose it'd be good to wind this author's note back and start from the beginning, with a dedication: I want to dedicate this book to that kid who started it all, all those years ago, sitting on a bus on the way to a track meet and dreaming of an alien love story with interesting monsters and characters they could connect to. And so that kid just, pulled out their phone and started writing. That's right, this entire 75-chapter-long novel started as a little doodly writing thing on the docs app on my phone.

And that's all well and good, but the thing is, that kid kept writing. After showing everyone who would hold their phone for more ten seconds, ha, that kid went back at it. They kept writing and they kept writing. Joshua and Sundo came to life.

Ngl, the story started out as a yandere fic, and I swear if you read some of the first chapters (*cough* chapters 8 & 9 *cough*) you can definitely tell. It's so bad. Buuut, as I grew, the story grew with me, and somehow, incredibly, even when I took a giant break from it sophomore year (around chapter 12, to be precise? Is there anyone here who's been reading this for that long and remembers the Great Hiatus?? If you're out there, oh please let me know, I'm so curious to hear your thoughts!), I still managed to come back.

And here we are.

As much as I was writing this thing for me (and that kid on that bus grinning at that phone screen, typing away), I was also writing this for you guys. If you're still here, and you're reading this now, I imagine I must have done something right, somewhere along the line, and for that I'm so grateful! So I want to say thank you. To you, specifically, you reading this. Yes, you! Thank you!  You are incredible! Thank you for all of your votes and comments keeping me going. Even you silent readers, I'm happy to know you're there, and I hope you've enjoyed this rambling story of mine!

The biggest thank you goes out to you supportive readers whose votes and comments and art(?!!) I always looked forward to seeing, including but certainly not limited to: RaffaelloGiovanni, mo0nlentine, Rimoleaf, DollyTear, nerdyfudge, IvaNeedsHolyWater, Aerialboos4, FaihFaihMariPerez425, itsmarte28, nerdy_116, avalonbwriting, JadaStilinski, pinkpoutyprincess, BadErosgissssseKara_is_in_fandomsHhaaaaaaaaaaaaSwirl_Aroundkazbrooks, Jell-ohawkwardscientistsShannie_The_Bunnie, onyx_horrorSynthGod, ciphertext, Jaiome, Frostyesque, Follenstar, WereBoy0o0, melaniemontsserrat, UtRadix, Miewse, smile412_, SiBramwhite, brianlionel113MusicUnicorn15, JunielTumampoc, Speedo_Worthy, sluggirl, cabincake, Ellkell, FlameAshWood, ImGAYBEACH, and AnmonWrites

(I know I'm definitely most likely forgetting some people, and for that I'm so sorry!! There's so many of you I'd like to thank! When I remember, I will certainly go back an add you!)

Thank you all!! ❤️

If you're here now, even you sneaky quiet readers, I really would love to know: if you enjoyed the story or even if you didn't, please let me know your thoughts! The good and yes, even the bad! Both are incredibly helpful in the writing process, and I always appreciate feedback so, so much!

If you're up to taking a moment to answer some of these, or even all of them if you'd like, here are some of my burning questions:

1.  Did you have a favorite part? A part you absolutely didn't like?

2.  A favorite character? A least favorite? Why?

3.  Did you have a character you found yourself siding with most? A character you were most frustrated with? Why?

4.   What would you have liked to see happen that didn't? What might you want, specifically, to see in a sequel?

And, I'm sure you have some questions of your own, and I'd better see if I can answer them! For instance, I imagine, the biggest of them all:

What happens now?

Well, for me, I go to university. I'll be studying creative writing and publishing, so I promise this isn't the end of my writing. This isn't even the end of Joshua and Sundo! We'll certainly be seeing them again, for there will, for certain, be a sequel to tackle this new adventure they're setting off on. We'll get to meet new and old characters all over again, and we'll get to see what other terrestrial aliens are like!

First, however, the Rewrite. The sequel will likely be years down the line, unfortunately, because first I will be tackling the rewrite of this first draft. For, as I mentioned before, there are a great many of things I would like to do differently this time, and to do just a bit better! I can already tell you, this long-ass book is going to be split into a duology, and in it, we'll get to see:

More of Joshua and Sundo as children, before the Great, Horrible Incident Which Starts It All. More of their time growing up separately, meaning and including: Sundo's time with Rebecca; Rebecca and her girlfriend, Tess, who is also Ethan's older sister; more of Joshua's pre-teen years and him discovering his bisexuality more gradually, through Ying's heart-tripping cuteness, Ethan's witty (and awfully-good-at-kissing) mouth, and, shocker, guys changing in the locker room. He will also--thank goodness--actually have a therapist this time around.

And that's just some of the changes I'm excited to include! We'll also be seeing more of Bennett, Marlowe, Shari, and Shari's conspiracy blogger friend: Fariah. There's a connection between all of those people, and I'm excited to elaborate more on it!

In any case, the jist is, I'm certainly not done with this lovely cast of characters, and though it may take me a while to have their story ready to reread and--hopefully, fingers crossed-- one day published, I'll always be working towards it. And I can do my best to keep you posted in the meantime, if you're interested!

As of now, however, this is where our story currently comes to a close. If you're curious about anything else regarding, well, anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm very talkative and very interested in answering your questions!

I send you all my love, and I wish you luck with those projects you're working on. Know that you can do it! Patience and dedication do the trick, just a little bit at a time and you'll get there!

And again, thanks.

Signing Off,

Spookie. Xx

Friday, 13 September 2019