Chapter 37: Trust Me

Joshua

When I begin to come to, it's to the feeling of something heavy draped over me.

"Mmm..." I moan groggily, shifting a bit. I feel warm, too warm.

Blinking open my eyes, I gaze blearily out in front of me. What I don't expect to see is the the soft, sleeping face of Sundo, so close to mine.

A little choking sound escapes me as I stiffen, fully awoken by the sight of him. I'd totally forgotten. Looking at him, everything begins to come back to me: the conversation in the kitchen, the kissing, the crying... My throat feels sore and scratchy, and my face still feels a bit red and raw.

Scowling a bit, I close my eyes, nestling my face into the sheets between Sundo and I. Without a sleepy fog to comfort me, reality is creeping in, knocking on the door. I don't want to have to think about the very serious problems we're still facing, not yet. I just want to stay here, just a little longer... To lay here, without talking, without having to yet figure out what we are now to each other.

The room is considerably brighter than it was when I first saw it. My back is facing the window, and from it, muted streams of sunlight are dappling over the room, over Sundo's gentle face. I'm unable to keep my eyes closed, knowing that he's right there in front of me. Gazing out at him, I... I don't know how to describe how I'm feeling right now. I just know... I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Sundo. It still feels weird to think. I don't know when I made the decision to start thinking of him as that again, but I know I told myself to make a decision. I guess I made it subconsciously, sometime before darting up those steps. Before... My lips still feel a little tingly, just at remembering the feel of them against Sundo's.

I hardly even remember falling asleep. I was just so exhausted, and we kind of just... Passed out really. His arm is still draped over my torso, keeping us close, and I think maybe that's why I feel so warm. Because he's so close, and because the sun is shining on my back, and because I didn't change out of any of yesterday's clothes. Gross.

Something about the way I slept strikes me though, and I can't put a finger on what it is. I just hardly even remember doing it. It's strange, like I... I lay still as it dawns on me. I didn't have any nightmares. I slept so soundly because I had none, none at all.

I suck in a breath of incredulity. Blinking out at Sundo, I find little tremors running up my body, ones I try hard to suppress. How? How? How is now the time I don't have any nightmares? Why is now when they leave me alone? Is it because of him?

I hold in the breath I'd taken, pressing my lips together. Behind my eyes I feel tears welling up again all over again, and I squeeze my eyes shut. I'm not going to cry again. Not so soon. It's pathetic.

"Mmn..." Comes a faint groan.

The breath comes out of me in a puff of surprise, and I open my eyes, gazing out at Sundo. His arm around me tightens for a moment, pulling me closer, while his nose crinkles up a bit. He shifts under the sunlight warming his features, before his eyes finally flutter open. It seems to take a moment for him to focus on his surroundings, but as his gaze lands on me, those emerald eyes clear, and brighten. His pupils dilate as a contented little smile splays across his face.

"Good morning." He murmurs, tilting his head happily. He still sounds sleepy, even a little dreamy, as though he's not fully woken up yet. His voice is a low rumble, like a purr; I can actually feel it from his proximity.

"Morning." I murmur back, feeling the jitters return to me. All at once I can't keep reality away, and I suddenly can't believe I'm actually here, beside him, waking up like this is a normal, perfectly alright situation to be in.