Chapter 73: A Fugitive's Questions

Joshua

Late evening must be passing into early, early morning as we pass around Amargo. Sundo makes a large arc around the town without me having to ask, and it takes us far out of our way, but at least it's safer. We're lucky we were even able to pass in and out without detection.

Sundo finds Highway 64 again like a steadfast compass rose, and with renewed stamina, he blazes his own trail down the dusty way adjacent to it. As he runs, my thoughts race out ahead of us, untethered and restless. I consider everything we have to do now, from here.

We absolutely want to get back to Junction. I don't even really know where else we could go. Of course that's where we should head.

But...

Then what?

I just... go home? Back to school? I can't even fathom it...

I chew my lower lip as my thoughts churn, spinning out scenario after scenario. I... I don't think we can do it. We can't just go home like nothing happened.

For starters, Sundo and I are different now. Would he just go back to his lonely house and I, mine? What would we do? And... That's not even considering Perkins and Lynch. They know where we live. They'll come right back after us in no time.

And Sundo. Oh, Sundo... He couldn't stay, not for long. He'd be the least safe in Grand Junction, the most easily discovered. And even if he left and I stayed... Feds like Peabrain & Loser will come back to interrogate me for sure.

I bite down on my lip hard enough for it to hurt. A shaking gasp feels like it's pulling at my diaphragm, and I have to press my hands flat against Sundo's back, trying to hold some semblance of calm.

We can't escape. The revelation drops heavy in my chest with the thudding of my heartbeat. We can run, but we can't escape, not forever. Not truly. Because... They'll always be after us, won't they?

I swallow against a lump forming in my throat, my hands knotting in Sundo's pelt. I really wish he wasn't the monster right now, because I could really do with a little of his optimism right at this moment.

As though sensing my dismay, Sundo tilts his head to the side, eyeing me with one luminous green orb. I press my lips into a thin line, hoping I don't look as sick as I feel. I give him a shake of my head, my wordless attempt to communicate: "I'll tell you later".

I can't tell if he buys my calm or if he chooses to take my word for it—or if he even understands what I mean at all. Regardless, he turns his head back to watch the road. Probably good to keep his eyes on where he's going anyway.

Blowing out a sigh, I sit back, tilting my head up to gaze at the stars wheeling ever so slowly across the sky. They just keep shining on, like little pin pricks in a deep indigo quilt. Soon they're going to be washed out by morning, and then where will Sundo and I be? Who knows. It's not like the stars will care.

Who am I kidding. I want to deny it, but I know exactly what this means. Sundo and I are officially fugitives. And fugitives can't go home.

We can't go home. Not really. If we do, we'll be caught and this whole mess will start all over again. Escaping will be for nothing.

So then what can we do? Do we just keep running forever?

Leaning back, peering up at the beautiful but uncaring stars, I feel utterly lost. Heat burns in the pit of my throat, and I struggle to swallow against it. I know if I'm not careful, that heat will start to well up behind my eyes, and then where will we be?