Chapter 61: The Man with a Galaxy on His Hand

30 minutes ago...

The door shuts with a click right in front of Seth's nose. He stares at it, blinking. Shell-shocked.

He'd fought hard to stay in the room with Joshua, and despite it all, he's still locked out. Facing the door is crushing.

Bennett lets go of Seth's arm now, stepping back to observe this human-like being with quiet captivation. He can hardly believe it's here. All this waiting and working, and now they actually have the alien!

He could kiss Perkins and Lynch right now if he didn't know it would be an unenjoyed experience for all involved.

This alien, Seth, not only does it look human, but it—or rather, he, Bennett sternly reminds himself—acts it as well. The way he fought to stay with that boy... it made the scientist feel some strange twinge in his chest, and it fascinates him.

What is the relationship between this alien and his boy? Is it an E.T. style friendship? Something more bizarre? Personally, Bennett saw no reason in taking the Gonzalo-kid as well; as he argued with Rosalyn, what's the point in it? The kid's just human. The real specimen is the creature here... Seth.

He does look odd, at least, for human standards. There's something about his eyes, and about the way those markings curl over his skin. What are they? What do they mean? Bennett can't wait to find out.

Contorted emotions flicker over the alien's face, and he reaches to take the handle of the door— but Bennett clasps his wrist and pulls it back. Those feline eyes turn to sharp blue ones, and whatever he sees there has him quickly ripping his hand from Bennett's grasp.

"I'm going to see him again, right?" He asks Bennett, holding his wrist close to himself.

He refuses to move from the locked door separating him from his companion. His voice has a subtle rasp to it now, from the shouting, probably.

Bennett considers this question, scratching at his bearded chin thoughtfully. So this kid does mean something to him. Hmm... Useful to know.

"Well, most likely. I don't see us letting him go any sooner than yourself. We're not going to do stuff to him if that's what you're wondering. Just going to ask him some questions, probably," he explains with a shrug.

Behind the alien, Lynch makes a face, as though she doesn't approve of his tactless explanation. He's heard that before, from Marlowe; that he should probably think a little more before he says his words. But that just takes too long. It's easier to just say what comes to mind right away. And it's faster.

Regardless, the alien does not look consoled by this answer.

"No, you don't understand," Seth says, something pleading creeping into his tone. "I need to be with him, or else he'll... I'll..."

His voice seems to close up on him. Bennett observes him intently, his arms folded, waiting with some intensity of gaze for him to finish speaking. What is it with this alien and this boy, he wonders? What's the connection? His mind whirls with possibilities behind his intent look, and all these seem to glitter in his bright eyes.

Seth's voice sputters out, as though he's realised he's begun to say something he probably shouldn't. He frowns, a crease forming between his brows as he presses his lips together. Stepping back, he fidgets with his hands and avoids Bennett's gaze. This movement of his hands draws Bennett's attention downwards, and all his wonderings are dashed as he catches sight of those hands.