Chapter 57: A Promise to Hurt No More

Seth

Joshua's fallen asleep, his head against the crook of my neck and his legs draped over my knees. He's breathing softly, evenly, and it's the calmest he's been this entire trip. I think if anyone tried to wake him now, I'd seriously hurt them.

I try to stay as still as I can, smiling stupidly and appreciating this moment for everything it is. My eyes follow the scenery that continues to pass us by just beyond the window, acres and acres of it.

Miles of road and scenery begin to blur together after a time, and my eyelids begin to droop despite myself. I tilt my head to rest my cheek against the top of Joshua's head and try to stay awake.

Really, it's a futile endeavor. I'm nodding off as we roll to a stop outside a rickety gas station. I have to blink away bleary-eye and shake off my drowsiness as I realise we're actually stopping.

I sit up a little straighter to peer out at the oddity. The gas station looks as though it's been pulled straight from one of those 80's movies Marge used to screen for me at the library. There are cacti growing around it and everything.

Lynch turns in her seat as the car comes to a full stop beside one of the rusted red gas pumps. She does a double take as she sees the two of us, as though she hadn't noticed Joshua move over. She frowns at him where he sleeps, and I soundlessly bare my teeth at her.

Though she doesn't seem phased, she does seem to reconsider how she goes about waking him up.

I try to ignore them as both the agents get out of the car, but it's kind of hard when Lynch comes to loom just outside my window. She pulls open the door and a blast of dry, sweltering air hits my face, bringing with it the smell of gasoline and the heat that ripples over the asphalt in the distance.

I balk in the sun, feeling like some sort of reptile whose rock has just been pulled up from over his head.

Under the light, Joshua winces and turns his head against my shoulder, murmuring something in his sleep.

"Wake him up," Lynch clips, finally baring signs of patience worn thin.

She casts an odd shadow with the brace-thing around her neck... Though even that fails to make her a lick less intimidating. Her expression is carved in alabaster shade.

Maybe it's guilt that makes me listen to her. At the very least, I don't growl at her again.

Turning away from her, I press a cuffed hand against Joshua's knee, murmuring his name gently, reluctantly. He groans and protests, and I prod his leg a little more.

Finally, he blinks his eyes open. As the sun hits them, the shine like hard amber, and I lose my words.

"Hey," I say breathlessly.

"Hey," he mumbles back, sleepy and fond.

"Get up," Lynch groans, turning away from us.

Joshua meets my look and rolls his eyes, though ultimately, he complies. Not like he has much choice, really. Awkward and begrudging, he clambers over me, unbalanced without the use of his arms. I try to help him as best I can, though when he slides over my lap to stand on the crunchy pavement, he still sways a bit on his feet. Lynch looks down at him with a critical gaze, and he glares back at her.

(Though, part of the glaring might be the sun. It's really blinding after the air-conditioned shade of the car.)

Small metal keys glint in the heat as she pulls them from her waistcoat. Taking Joshua by the arm, she yanks him over and begins to unfasten the handcuffs.