10: To Win

Another Monday had passed and you noticed that Oikawa has once again not visited the art club room. You had an idea on where else he could be but maybe he wanted to be alone? You shook your head of those thoughts. No, he shouldn't even be practicing on a Monday!

Making up your mind, you trudge out of your club room a couple minutes earlier to see where that childish guy might be up to.

You weren't wrong with your guess. There Oikawa was, breaking his no practice on Monday rule, practicing even harder than he did on other days. He notices you walk in but doesn't greet you. You just sigh at his stubborn attitude. You'd ask him about his recent attitude when you guys start walking home. But for now...

You make yourself at home on one of the bleachers and take your sketchbook out. Just so when he does feel like talking again, you'd be there to hear him out.

From time to time, you'd look up from the bleachers to check up on Oikawa's practice. You frowned. His movements were stiff and you could see that he was trying new moves that he hadn't built enough foundation for. He was trying to prefect everything, like there was this huge hurdle he had to jump before time ran out. It was a feeling you knew all too well. But since you did know that feeling, you knew that trying to make him stop practice for the day would do him more harm than good. You sighed. Just for today, you'll let him practice.

For the rest of your practice, you sketched in your book, trying to figure your words out for when you talk to him. As reckless as he may be, he would shut you out the moment you start scolding him. He was smart enough to know the damage he was putting on himself but there was something even more important that let him go past that. And that's what you'll be trying to figure out.

~~

"So...I'm assuming there's a big game coming up soon?" You speak up as Oikawa turns to you with a hint of surprise in his face. You were right, he probably expected you to scold him on practicing on a day he wasn't supposed to.

He gives you a hint of a grateful smile. "Yeah, and we're going to win." His face looks so excited and a little anxious at the upcoming game. His voice drops at his following words. "And put someone in their place."

Your head tilts up in thought. "Hm, could it be that crazy super ace you showed me in that video before?"

He shoots you an annoyed look. "The ace," he corrected, "won't be so super after the game." He jabs his thumb up his chest. "Our team is going to win."

You couldn't help the smile sliding into your face at his confidence in him and his teammates. You wish you could support him in some way too... Oh wait...

"Hey Oikawa, when is your game?" You were sure there was more than enough people cheering for the team but you wanted to do what little you can nonetheless. Plus you feel like Ami would make you go with her to cheer on her crush Hanamaki..."So I could, you know, maybe help cheer you on..."

You were met with a beaming smile, relieving the nervousness of the question you asked previously.  "Rudolph! You shouldn't have!"

You roll your eyes. "Always making a big deal of things I see..." You turn to him with a grin. "That team you're facing is going to have a run for their money." He seemed pretty happy with your comment.

But you had a couple more questions swimming in your mind. "Any reason why you're more riled up than usual for one of your games?" The look he gave you at that question make your blood run cold. "...Oikawa?"

"It's simple really," he gives you a nonchalant shrug, "I hate geniuses." He catches your gaze, making you unable to pull your eyes away from him.

Honestly, that comment made you less uneasy than you assumed. Mostly because you understood it way more than you should. It made you realize that Oikawa and you were more similar than you expected. As much as you wanted to disagree with him so he could maneuver away from his self-destructive tendencies, you didn't have the strength to. You ended up nodding in agreement to his comment. "...Actually, me too."