13.5: Tadashi

Hurray another side chapter! I'm getting fond of these behind the scenes bits so there will be more or less of them in future chapters. Just a heads up!

-------------------

– 2nd Year –

It was the last day before school started up again and Tadashi was currently stuck at his dad's art exhibition.

Tadashi politely smiles at the funders of his family's business with his dad, shaking their hands and getting through all the pleasantries. As years went by, Tadashi's dad became more adamant about him tagging along for these types of networking. His family was quite talented in scouting out starting artists and showcasing their works in their exhibit. Unfortunately, Tadashi wanted more than to just show art, he wanted to make his own works.

His dad let him do as he wished, although he said that he wouldn't be able to show his works in their exhibit if he wished to follow through with it. Tadashi agreed with his condition, vowing to find his own way of making a statement with his work.

But that was where the problem lies. Tadashi was surrounded in different styles of art all day that he found it difficult to find his own style. His train of thought was cut off once an art patron called for his attention.

"Oh, Kouta-kun! I heard that you were making your way into the art world!" The patron shakes his hands with Tadashi, their gaze interested. "I would love to see your work!"

Tadashi lets out a small laugh and pairs it off with a soft smile. "Thank you for your interest. What would be a reasonable time to show you my portfolio?"

The art patron looked delighted at Tadashi's response and pulls out a business card from their pocket. "Anytime you're able to pull your portfolio together! I understand you recently just started so I don't want to rush you. Give me a call when the time comes so I know you're dropping by!" They end it off with a smile before they excuse themselves. "Pleasure doing business with the Tadashi family!"

Tadashi stares at the patrons retreating back before staring at the card in his hand, dumbstruck. "Hey dad, I still don't feel right about this..." He clenches the card in his hand. "I feel like I got a chance before I even showed any work."

Tadashi's dad gives him a light pat on the back. "Well, I guess you'll have to make sure that chance stays there when you show them your work." He gives Tadashi a reassuring smile. "You've networked enough that most of the patrons here are familiar with you and how well you treat everyone." He nudges Tadashi, making him stumble forward and turn back to his dad with a questioning glance. "There's just a little bit left to do here but I can do that myself. I'm sure there is somewhere else you'd rather be right now?" His dad gives him a knowing smile.

Tadashi nods at his dad gratefully. "Yeah, thanks." He steps out of the exhibit and walks to his house a few blocks away.

He quickly opens the door of his home and runs up to his room, changing out of his stuffy formal outfit and into more comfortable clothes. Looking up at the time, he speeds up even more and swiftly packs his art supplies into his bag before rushing out the door.

It was almost sunset and he always managed to miss it with all the art exhibitions his dad wanted him to attend.

Just a few steps away from his favorite spot to see the sunset, he spots someone else occupying the space. His steps slow down but the noise was still enough to attract the person and turn their gaze to him. His breath caught in his throat.