21: Affirmation

Your hands grip your cell tightly as you immediately called up your brother, one hand holding your cell by your ear while the other held an opened letter from the university you applied at weeks ago.

Your voice couldn't hold in the excitement when you heard your brother answer the phone, cutting him off before he could even let out a proper hello. "Jun! I got in!"

The other line is silent for a moment until you hear a chuckle. "Well that much was obvious." His tone was proud and you could picture that approving smile on his face so clearly in your mind. "So? When are you planning to move in?"

You excitedly tell him your plans about visiting sometime after graduation to check out the university properly and how you'll move in a week before the semester starts so you have a grasp of your surroundings. Jun lets out occasional hums and 'ahs' to let you know he was following along.

Once you explained your plan of action after getting the exciting news, Jun lets out a hum in thought. "...Did you tell any of your friends yet?"

A beat passes when you notice the hidden implication he asked with that question. You lean back in your desk chair as you let out a sigh. "No, not yet. I get kind of sad knowing I won't be able to see them all the time like usual..."

You hear rustling on the other line before Jun speaks again. "You're not giving them enough credit. You've made good friends so if you put in that time and effort, they'll stick around."

Your nose crinkles at his words as you begrudgingly agree. "I know, I know. But at the same time, it's not the same! I just don't want to lose the closeness I have with Tō—them." You correct yourself quickly when you realize what you were about to say.

Jun continues speaking as if he didn't notice your flustered state on the line. "Hmm...I guess you shouldn't be talking to me about this right?" He pauses as he waits for you to let the words sink in. "I'm sure they're thinking the same thing right now."

Your mouth opens to retort but your thoughts bring you back to when you mentioned moving away after high school and Oikawa's lack of energy upon receiving the news. It made more sense now that the biggest piece of the puzzle was found.

When you don't say anything to Jun's response, he lets out an exaggerated sigh. "Well I guess my job here is done. I'll be waiting for some more exciting news coming from you very soon~"

He disconnects the call and you pull away the cell from your ear wordlessly, staring at it blankly.

"...I guess he gets that trait from mom."

~~

Ami's mouth gapes at you, her eyes sparkling when you met up with each other that same day and you caught her up on what had been going on in your head. Your gaze overlooks the park scene you've grown accustomed to as your fingers fiddle with each other nervously, waiting for her to finally speak.

"...Finally," she breathes out as she leans against your shoulder. "I had to bite my tongue to make sure I didn't say anything! I mean there was the photo but I couldn't help it..." Grinning at you, she nudges her shoulder to yours slightly. "So...?" Ami trails off, asking for an elaboration on what you planned to do next.

You bit the inside of your cheek in thought as your eyes instinctively looked up. "Well, I'm not really sure how to tell him? I don't want to overwhelm him with how I feel about him after all..."

Ami looks at your fidgeting form with amusement, grinning cheekily at how lost you looked at the moment. "First, you have to tell him about your acceptance." She raises her index finger and taps it in between your scrunched brows. "Also, it's hard to say how to tell him but life has a good way of working things out for you~" Ami hums, looking away from you as she turns her focus on the other people chattering in the park.