18.5: Not as Planned

Look at me as I try to get over my writers block hahahah...

But I really, REALLY wanted to post this to celebrate Oikawa's birthday! Hurray July 20th! Hurray you guys get an extra chapter this week!

Another note, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on the chapters! They're so encouraging to read and it gives me ideas on future chapters (: Much love fellow readers <3

___________________

Everyone seemed to know about a special day that was coming up pretty soon, most of the girls in your school excitedly talking amongst each other about it. It was some sort of sign, like the whole world was telling you that you had to come up with something and to come up with it fast.

The date was drilled into your head from the indirect nagging you heard from your fellow schoolmates: July 20th aka. Oikawa Tōru's birthday.

You thought for a while that maybe you were exaggerating on hearing it everywhere when Oikawa interacted as usual around you but when you heard Iwaizumi openly complaining about it, you realized that Oikawa was probably just used to the big fuss the week before his birthday.

The week full of preparation was among everyone. You scrambled to figure out something to get Oikawa and one thought popped into your head—a surprise party? As cliché as it may be, you wanted to gather all of Oikawa's friends just to let him know that he was a special guy.

...As special as you considered him.

Nodding to yourself, you start going around the school to round up people for Oikawa's party.

~~

Oikawa didn't mind the attention from everyone, not at all. What he did mind was that you suddenly stopped giving him attention as a result. Whenever he walked home with you, you would be in your own little world, only giving him short answers before going back into your thoughts. It nagged him and made him wonder what could have possibly made you think so hard about something?

The nagging just got worse when he'd be talking to his fan club and he'd see you running around, talking to his teammates, classmates, and everything in between. He'd be lying if he said he didn't mind that you were socializing pretty well, seeing you laugh with them. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he noticed you trade numbers after you talked with them.

Oikawa had an inkling feeling that you were planning something for his birthday, considering that the people you came in contact with were people he talked with often. He knew but...it didn't mean he was too thrilled about the part where you started to distance yourself from him as a result.

He didn't want to admit it but he kept a close eye on you when you talked to his teammates. They all knew about you and how great you were so he was worried that the others would get ideas from talking with you.

Sighing to himself, Oikawa ruffled his hair to compose himself as he tried to focus on volleyball practice. Today was finally his birthday and although he had received birthday wishes and gifts from his fan club, his teammates, Ami and even Tadashi, he had yet to receive any words from you—what's more was that he hasn't even seen you at all today. But today it was your turn to visit him after practice so he hoped to see you then.

As practice ended for the day, everyone once again said their birthday greetings to Oikawa as they left the gym, leaving him alone. Oikawa glanced at the clock more often than he would admit as he waited for you until the doors of the gym opened up a couple minutes later. He brightened up quickly when he was met with your sunny smile.