|15|

|15| Lyla Pembroke |

"I did pick up a cook book for you, Lyla. It has all types of dishes you can prepare for us. I figured that you'd make Sunday dinner for us and I'll retrieve any extra things you'll need tomorrow at the shops."

"You want me to cook?" I question raising an eyebrow.

"Of course, that's how you provide for us. You take care of the house and I go to work Monday through Friday."

I kept a scoff in. The old Lyla would start cursing but I had to be careful about what I said to him. If the police don't find me soon I'll have to take matters into my own hands. That means I have to be patient and earn Niall's trust.

"And you think that's a healthy relationship?" I ask referring to his comment about me being a modern day housewife.

"It's the only functional relationship out there," He says quite confidently with no stutter. Maybe I'll do such a terrible job and he'll let me go. "Tomorrow I'll show you where everything is and how to do everything that involves tidying. Sunday will be sort of a test run."

"A test run?" I question.

"To see how you do at being a contributor to our family."

I think I just vomited a little in my mouth.

"And if I don't do a good job?"

He doesn't respond but only brushes off my question. "Will you help me with the dishes angel? You wash, I'll dry." He asks more like a stern statement.

I get grabbing my dirty plate and walking over to the sink. I notice there's some locks on the kitchen drawers. "What are those for?" I ask him curiously.

"To lock away sharp things and any chemicals," He says briefly and dismissively. "Nothing an angel like you should worry about."

I start to work on the dishes and like he said, he dries. This is not how I expected things to go after Niall killed Kate. He took me because supposedly I make things "quieter". I still don't know what that even means. He hasn't like physically hurt me or tried to at least. He also hasn't made any moves towards me sexually. I hate to admit it but that's what I expected.

I find the whole situation strange and Niall himself is the strangest part. He doesn't want my body in the way I expected. He wants me to clean dishes, bake for him and be interested in his boring conversations.

When we finish he tells me to sit on the couch. The first thing I notice is the boarded up window that I broke last week. Other than that I notice a small love seat in the corner near the old TV. It has a string guitar sitting upon it. I guess I didn't notice it while I was attempting to escape.

Instead of sitting I go to examine it. As I reach out to grasp it I hear his voice, "Please, don't touch it Lyla."

"Sorry," I say. "I just thought it was cool. Do you play?"

He nods slowly. "My therapist recommends it. Playing helps me calm my nerves sometimes."

It only make me think about how long it's been since he's seen his therapist.