Chapter 19: Well Then

(AN): Oi sorry this has been taking so long. Pic of Evangeline (Amber Heard) on the side.

******************

Evangeline's POV

I was talking to Aileen in the kitchen while I waited for the cookies in the oven to finish baking. It may have been seven in the evening but any time is a good time for cookies.

I heard Aileen sigh and turned around to look at her.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. She looked up at me from her phone.

"Nothing. Henry keeps trying to ring me." She mumbled.

"Oh. Have you tried blocking him?" I asked. She nodded her head.

"Yea... But the bloody psycho changes his number and starts ringing me again when he realizes I've blocked him." She told me.

"That's... Wonderful. It's been a year though right? Why doesn't he try to find someone else?" I asked.

"You tell me because I have no idea. The mad bastard just won't give up." She said. "He's always been really clingy. Anyone he dated in secondary school had to find him someone new to fall in love with or he'd never let them go. I've tried to find him a new girlfriend but I never found one he liked."

"Er... That sounds like fun..." I said. I was about to say something else when the batman theme song started playing. I looked over to the other counter and saw my phone vibrating.

"One second..." I said as I lunged for my cell phone.

"Yellow?" I answered.

"Ev?" I heard my dad's deep voice say.

"Dad? Hey! Sorry it's been a few days since I called you! It's been a little busy here lately. What's up?" I asked. It felt good to hear his voice. I had missed him more than I thought I had.

"Um... I'm calling because... Damn how do I say this? Keith..." He mumbled. A bad feeling started to spread in my stomach.

"This is about Keith? What happened?" I asked, trying not to sound too panicky.

"He's um... He's dead, Ev. We found him this morning. He killed himself." My dad said. He went on to say something about how 'sorry he was' but I wasn't really listening as the shock settled in my system.

No. I wasn't in love with Keith. I loved Declan and I always will. But I had known Keith since we were pups. We had grown up together. He'd been my best friend and we'd studied together. He taught me how to speak pig latin and showed me how to snap my fingers. We'd been inseparable ever since we met. I'd known him longer than I'd known Quinn.

"Da.. Dad. Um... I have to go. Thanks for um, calling me." I said, cutting off my dad in the middle of his speech.

"Okay. I'm sorry sweetheart. I'm sorry I couldn't be there in person to tell you." He said. I hung up the phone before he could hear the cry that escaped my throat. Aileen looked up from her form, an alarmed look on her face.

"Ev? What's wrong!? Is Alpha okay?" She asked. Declan had told her a thousand times that she didn't need to call him by title, but she always forgot.

"Um yea he's, Declan's fine. It's my friend Ke-- Keith." I stumbled on his name. "He died."

Sympathy immediately showed up on her face. "Ev... I'm sorry. That's horrible... Is there something I can.. I can do? I could-" I cut her off.

"No it's fine. I just... I need to go talk to Declan." I told her. I needed the comfort of my mate. I know Keith wasn't exactly Declan's favorite person but I knew he would understand. "Could you um... Take the cookies out of the oven?" Another tear rolled down my cheek.