Opening Cutscene

Once, I was just a normal Waddle Dee.

Well, almost normal. All the others were boys, for one, and for two, they just accepted life the way it was. Not me. I was curious. I was stubborn. Escargoon (or Slug Boy, as I thought of him) couldn't stand me. Although he never knew I was just one of the 3,452 of us, he really disliked me, because I had trouble obeying. The King never even noticed me, even at the times when I was told to stand guard, and ended up pondering a butterfly, for example.

All the other Waddle Dee couldn't understand me. "Why do you do that?" they would ask. "Why can't you just be as we are, content with our lives?"

And I always answered the same way: "I don't know."

If there was something out of the ordinary, I wanted to understand it.

If someone treated me unfairly, I wanted them to know about it.

But, for the first 16 or so years of my life, I couldn't really do anything about it. It didn't really help that even though I wanted to understand things, I could be a bit of an airhead.

But all that changed one day.

Far off in space, a great force was awakening. This force, the Monstrous Lightning, wanted to have the universe as his own. And, like all badguys it seems, he chose to start with Planet Popstar and Dreamland.

He looked like a great spark floating in the vacuum of space, pondering where his quest to conquer all should start. Just then, a meteor bumped into him. With a huff of impatience, this spark batted it away into space, sending it hurdling, electrified and with a terrible power, straight to my planet. In a lazily evil sort of way, he decided to slowly follow.

Later that day, a horrible storm came upon the planet, worse than any recorded in any of our books, Meta Knight claimed. (I only know this was said because I was guarding the King at the time.) King DeDeDe just huffed and sent him away, then continued stuffing his face with snackerdoodle cookies. I think Meta Knight might have stolen one, but that's not important.

Late that night, I helped with the laundry under an overhang. While I was trying to stay dry and non-fried, a tiny star appeared in the sky. I wished with all my heart to be able to speak my ideas aloud and learn more, to actually begin to be something special. The other Waddle Dee all just laughed at me in their minds.

The star seemed to instantly change directions in the sky at my wish and come closer and closer. The others began to get nervous, finally scattering as it hurtled towards us through the sky and came past the castle wall. I just stood and watched, admiring the intricate craters and cracks on its surface, until it literally hit me.

Everything went dark.