World 2 Level 3- The Masked Knight Is Surprised

Kirby Dee spent the afternoon wandering around the castle, thinking of all that had happened the past weeks. It was hard to believe that just a couple of months before, back in spring, she had been a normal Waddle Dee. She wondered when the monster she had to fight would get here, who the 'friends' that would go with her were, whether she would be able to do it.

She pulled her plain sword out of the leather sheath on her back she used to carry it around. She hadn't been wearing it last night during her little prank on the king, even though Meta Knight had given it to her expressly for the purpose that she wouldn't be confused with a regular Waddle Dee. Of course, she had taken it off expressly for the purpose that she wouldn't be recognized. She sat down against the wall and studied it, fascinated, but then she grew sad. Would she be able to use it as an actual weapon, when it came to that? She had never actually hurt anyone with any weapon, except for once when she had hit herself in the head with this sword's hilt. She had had Warp Stars floating in front of her eyes for hours.

Am I really the one meant for this quest? I guess I am the only girl Waddle Dee, but still. I'm... scared, she thought to herself. As a Waddle Dee passed her and gave her a strange look, she started to cry softly. And now I'm a stranger, an outcast, among my own kind. I miss the way things used to be.

She sat there sniffling, until she heard thumping inside the wall. It sounded just like two sets of small feet. "Those two," she huffed. "They're probably going to try to get me in trouble again. Well, not this time. No sir-ee."

Sure enough, Kirby and Bandana Dee snuck out through a nearby hole in the wall and waddled over to her. "No. Don't even ask," she ordered before they had a chance to get a word out. "I'm too old and mature for playing pranks."

Bandana Dee touched his forehead to hers. "You weren't last night. Now, don't worry. We won't let you get caught this time."

"No," she repeated. "Meta Knight's right. I'm going to be a hero, I shouldn't be playing dumb tricks on other people. And you guys are heroes, you should know better."

Kirby stuck his tongue out at her. "Stick-in-the-mud, poyo."

She glared at him. "Whatever."

"Whatever," Bandana Dee agreed, still touching his forehead to hers. "We'll just have some fun without you, Mini Knight."

"Mini Knight? What's that supposed to mean?" she humphed.

Kirby giggled and fist-bumped Bandana Dee. "Good one, poyo." He pointed at her. "You Mini Knight, poyo." With a snicker, they ambled off.

She stood up and sheathed her sword. "I should probably follow them and try to keep them out of trouble." She sighed. "Mini Knight. Is that like 'teacher's pet?' I think?"

She decided to practice stealth by following them silently. "I wish I had Meta Knight's cloak," she whispered. "It would be a really cool effect." She didn't really need it though, they probably thought she was still back sulking in her corner. They weren't really paying attention to their surroundings, she observed.

Not much later, they stopped outside the throne room. They turned around, and she barely had time to leap behind a potted plant. Peeping out, she watched as they silently stood by the large oak doors, looking almost like they were standing guard. "What are they doing?" she whispered, her eyes narrowed.

Finally, the doors swung open, and Escargoon walked out, followed by a few Waddle Dee. "Having me go to get his supper from the kitchen. What does he think I am, a pathetic Waddle Dee?" he huffed. "Ow, that was my foot!" he suddenly turned and spat at a Waddle Dee that hadn't even touched him. "Why am I even keeping company with you squirts?"