Chapter 24

This hit 2k! Holy shit. *Throws update at you* Take it, you deserve it. Holy shit, thank you humans and potential aliens!

-----

Vic's POV

"Vic, you and I both know he was the best thing that ever happened to you." Mike whines. "You can't let him go that easy."

"I'm not letting him go. He left." I sigh, just about having enough of it.

Mike hasn't shut up about Kellin ever since he left and frankly, I just want to forget about him. I'm not angry anymore. I've cooled down. I'm just upset and I miss him. I miss him even more knowing that he's never coming back. I'm never going to see him again. We're never going to exchange 'I love you's. He's never going to be in my arms ever again. He's not mine anymore and I have to live with that. Mike's right when he says that Kellin is the best thing that happened to me. But he's also the worst. If I never loved him then I would have never lost him. I wish I never met him. I wish I just had minded my own business. I wish I had listened when he told me to leave him alone. I wish I could forget him; but I can't.

"He gave me this before he left. Just in case you changed your mind." Mike murmurs, holding out something that I never thought I'd see again; my necklace.

My stomach churns at the sight of it.

"I don't want it." I mumble looking away from it.

Mike grabs my hand and places it in my open palm before closing my hand around it.

"You may not want it but you need it Vic. You need it now more than anything." He sighs.

I look out of the car window, up at the courthouse that people are piling into. I spot my dad who's entering the building in handcuffs as the police are escorting him in. Mike's right, I do need it now, but I need Kellin more. And it's my fault he's not here.

-----

I leave the room, my entire body shaking. I don't know why I'm shaking. Maybe from shock. I don't know. It's over. The case, the trial, the sentencing, everything; it's all over. Mike grabs my shoulder and leads me out of the building to get some air.

"It's over Vic. He's gone. Out of our lives. You don't have to worry about him anymore." Mike says in a comforting tone and I nod looking down. "You alright?"

I throw on one of my famous smiles and nod looking up at him.

"He sure was shocked to see you." I laugh and Mike shakes his head.

"I can see right through that laugh and that smile. Don't lie to me, are you okay? It's okay to not be okay." Mike says softly.

I can't push back tears any longer so I just let them go and Mike pulls me into a hug.

"I miss him Mike. I miss Kellin." I sob and Mike rubs my back.

"I know, buddy, I know." He whispers.

"I love him. I want him back. B-but he left. And now h-he probably hates me." I sob clutching onto the back of his shirt whilst I soak the front of it with tears.

"Hey, I don't think Kellin could ever hate you. I'm sure he misses you as much as you miss him. I don't doubt that you'll find your way back to each other again." Mike says comfortingly but I don't believe it. I shouldn't because if I get my hopes up they're only going to be crushed. Kellin's not coming back. I made sure of that when he left, and now it's my biggest regret.

-----

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Mike asks for the thousandth time. At first I thought that he was just going to miss me but like everything else, this is about Kellin.