4 : Dark Side

Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?

4 : Dark Side (edited)

     It was barely halfway through Herbology when Catherine was so close to bolting out of the greenhouse. Professor Sprout had continued to bore them about mandrakes when Catherine let out a massive yawn, her eyes tearing up a bit. She propped her elbow up on the desk, putting her chin on her hand as she stared out at the beautiful blue sky outside. If only she was a Quidditch player, she thought wistfully.

     "Why don't you join tryouts?" a voice said to her and Catherine glanced at Lily before looking back out dreamily.

     "I don't think I'll make the team," was all she replied with a casual shrug.

     Lily stared at her best friend in utter disbelief, lightly shoving her. "You're absolutely terrific at Quidditch. Besides, you'd probably make it to the team without even having to touch a broom." Catherine gave her a questioning look before Lily explained with a knowing smirk, "Don't tell me you've forgotten who's finally Captain this year?"

     Catherine continued to stare blankly at Lily. Yes, she's watched every Quidditch match of Hogwarts, completely devoted to the Gryffindor players but since it's been a few weeks since the first day of class, she had no idea who was Captain.

     Lily rolled her eyes at the girl. "It's your boyfriend, you genius. Potter! I'm surprised he hasn't boasted it to you every two seconds," she added the last part thoughtfully.

     Catherine froze, her eyes turning as wide as saucers. "Y-You're joking . . . tell me you're joking."

     Lily shook her head. "As serious as Black."

     Catherine rolled her eyes at that line before getting back to her daydream — a plan began to evolve in her mind. She'd watch tryouts but she won't participate, she wanted to first  see who the players would be. Catherine's eyes wistfully stared outside, wanting nothing more than to be far, far away from the absolutely dreadful class. Suddenly, a thought dawned upon her in realization.

     In three days, there would be a full moon.

     No longer bored out of her mind, Catherine pushed her book aside and started scribbling a letter for her brother.

««•»»

     "Hello, my sweet and oh-so-beautiful Evans," came the infuriatingly charming voice of James Potter.

     Startled, Catherine's head snapped up wildly to see the hazel eyed boy in the library, his hair quite messy as though he had been constantly running his fingers through it. Sirius was there as well, grinning at Catherine with an eyebrow jump.

     "You," she blurted out. "What're you doing here, Potter? Are you lost? Why are you standing in a bloody library?"

     James, however, had no time to answer that since Lily questioned with a scowl, "Aren't you dating Cathy? Did you just say my name in the same sentence as being yours again?"

     Catherine did nothing to hide the smirk on her face as she crossed her arms at James who started blubbering, "No! I was just—well, I was actually—I just wanted to say hi."

     Catherine rolled her eyes at his pathetic excuse before asking, "What is it, Potter?"

     James immediately grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet, jerking his head to the direction of the library doors. "I need to speak with you."