5 : Earned It

'Cause, girl, you're perfect
You're always worth it
And you deserve it

5 : Earned It (edited)

     "Good morning," a rather sarcastic voice greeted Catherine as she fluttered her eyes open. Taking in the room around her, she realized she was in a dorm, seeing the familiar beds and desks. She groggily sat up, rubbing her drowsy eyes as she warily watched the four figures in front of her. Taking a minute to process who they were, she yawned loudly, stretching her body until she looked at them again.

Her brain now functioning, she recognized Sirius, James, Remus, and Peter all watching her with different expressions in each of their faces.

     Peter looked relieved and glad at the fact she was awake and alive, Remus's features were scrunched up to one of guilt as he smiled sheepishly at her, James's eyebrows were drawn together in concern and worry with his lips set into a tight line, and Sirius was scowling at her in a cross of irritation and fury.

     "Hello," she mumbled, looking at the room again and realizing she was in their dorm. "I'm glad you're alright," she informed Remus, a smile on her lips as she looked directly in his honey-brown eyes.

     He sighed, running a hand across his hair. "I'm sorry, Cathy. I shouldn't have — "

     "It's not your fault, Remus. I understand," she simply said.

     "What do you mean you understand?" Sirius snapped angrily at her, his arms crossed as he glowered.

     Confused by his reaction, Catherine frowned. "What's got your knickers in a twist, Black?"

     "You nearly died, Catherine."

     "But I didn't, Sirius," she stubbornly commented back.

     James sighed, stepping forward before they got into a heated argument like cats and dogs. Well, he thought to himself, technically Sirius was a dog while Catherine was a cat. "Look, Valentine. We appreciate your help last night, but we really hope you don't do it again. For your safety."

     She muttered something incoherent under her breath before saying, "I know you four are concerned with my well-being and all. I'm touched, really. But I just want you to understand that this isn't my first rodeo — I can handle a werewolf," she ended with a knowing smirk.

     Sirius and James shared an odd look before asking in unison, "Who did you know was a werewolf?"

     She shrugged. "My brother, Kasi. You know him?"

    Remus spoke this time, "He was my friend."

     Catherine's eyes snapped to Remus and they shared a moment of silence. She cleared her throat, getting to her feet and clapping her hands. "Well, this was rather eventful. I'd love to stay and chat, but I'd really like to spend my Saturday in Hogsmeade."

     James cough awkwardly and pointed at her clothes. "Valentine, I suppose you ought to change first."

     She looked down and her eyes widened. Heat seeped throughout her body from head to toe as she swallowed and laughed nervously, tightening her coat around her ratty sleeping shorts and tank top before snatching the blanket she had been covered with while she slept. Catherine glanced at the Potions book lying on the bed and caught a glimpse of the name — Black, Sirius. Flushing harder, Catherine ducked her head to hide her face as she covered herself with the blanket and walked passed the amused Marauders.

     "Oi, Cat!" Sirius called out from behind just before she slammed the door shut.

     "What?" she barked, hearing laughter in response as her face flamed in embarrassment.