7 : Gold Forever

Butterflies, butterflies
We were meant to fly,
You and I, you and I
Colors in the sky

7 : Gold Forever (edited)

Catherine couldn't stop the excitement and anticipation from rushing through her veins. Today was finally Monday, the day of the tryouts. Though her leg was crossed over the other, it was shaking in thrill as she absentmindedly drummed her fingers against her desk noisily. It was History class and Binns had droned on and on about something related to Newt Scamander. For this new lecture, they had to learn about the complete background of one of the most powerful and greatest wizards of history as he told the class to flip to a different page.

Catherine did so and found herself staring at the face of a familiar wizard. "Oi, it's Merlin!" Gideon snickered to her as she ceased her restless doings and for once, paid attention to Binns.

"As you all know, Merlin is the most powerful sorcerer to have ever lived in history. He devoted his life for a great muggle king known as Arthur Pendragon. Can anyone give me a small background about the Arthurian legend?" Binns scanned the crowd, surprised to see Catherine's hand in the air. "Miss Valdez?"

Ah, of course, Binns and his useless capability of remembering names.

"Well," Catherine started knowingly, "Merlin was like a father to Arthur, constantly caring for him and laying down his life to save him from dark magic of foes. And Arthur married Guinevere, a lady." Catherine paused with a purse of her lips. "Sorry, Professor, that's all I've got."

"Ten points to Gryffindor," Binns drawled before explaining, "You are in fact correct, Miss Vance, about the great Merlin laying down his life to protect Arthur at all costs. However, you are mistaken about the great wizard being a father figure and the muggle king marrying Guinevere."

Catherine furrowed her eyebrows at this, sharing a questioning look with Fabian and Gideon as confused murmurs ran throughout the crowd.

"I guess my whole life was a lie," Fabian sassed as he tossed a paper plane to his brother.

"Merlin was no older than Arthur, being that of near ages. He had a twin sister named Cecily whom the muggle king fell in love with and married." Binns then talked about Merlin and his magical capacities that were beyond compare.

As soon as class was dismissed, the Prewett twins dragged her out of the classroom. "Itty bitty Valentiny," Gideon started with a grin at her direction, "we've got some dungbombs for you."

"Happy birthday!" Fabian cried out obnoxiously, draping an arm lazily around her shoulders as his twin followed suit and weighed her down.

Catherine shrugged their arms off as she rolled her eyes, laughing. "Shut it, Fabe, you know my birthday's not until a couple of months." She then looked over at Gideon with a glint in her eyes. "But yes, my favorite twin, I'm listening."

Fabian protested at that whereas a Cheshire smile stretched across Gideon's lips as he said, "Later at midnight, we want you to sneak them in the Slytherin common room where Snape, Malfoy, Crabbe, Nott, and Goyle and the rest of their gang will be."

She raised an amused eyebrow. "And what, pray tell, did the lot of them do to you?"

Fabian rolled his eyes. "They messed up our Potions work. Normally, we wouldn't care — "