17 : Queen of Hearts

When the world falls into pieces
You'll be the one voice of reason
When I can't face all my demons
You are the one I believe in

17 : Queen of Hearts (edited)

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," Catherine whispered, tapping the map with the tip of her wand. Scribblings appearing on the map, Catherine took in the way the beautiful sketch of the school took place, as well as the tiny footprints that unfurled.

Remus chuckled at her reaction. "You've seen this how many bloody times, but you still look so amazed."

Catherine nodded at him. "I can't help it. The lot of you are such geniuses."

Remus smirked down at her. "Thank you, I shall take that massive compliment. Sirius doesn't like rules. James thinks he can do anything. I think I'm the genius."

This caused Catherine to laugh, the sides of her eyes crinkling. "And Peter?"

Remus pursed his lips. "He brings us snacks and encouragement?"

The pair shared an agreeing nod before continuing to walk along the dark and dimly lit corridor, their wands being the only source of light. Earlier that day, Remus had been dared by Sirius to sneak into the Slytherin common room and hang up all the photos Creevey took of Snape with voluminous hair. Remus asked Catherine if she could accompany him since she's been in the Slytherin common room before.

"Why didn't you borrow Prongs's cloak?" Catherine asked Remus as they caught sight of the dungeons and approached it.

Remus smirked at her and retorted, "Why didn't you?"

Catherine felt herself flush as she remembered how close she and James had been during the past days and her current feelings for him. She didn't want to tell Remus anything, despite him being an incredible friend. She didn't want to risk James knowing of her unrequited feelings she'd discovered on New Year's Eve. "It's complicated," she muttered under her breath before picking up the pace.

Remus chuckled behind her, shaking his head as he came in front of the doors and whispered the password. The door swung open and the duo stuffed their wands back in their pockets before heading inside the cold room.

Shivering slightly, Catherine grabbed hold of her magical bag upon entering the common room. Remus used his wand as he flicked his wrist, copies of moving pictures began soaring out of Catherine's bag and plastering themselves against the wall, ceiling to floor.

Remus's lips twitched at the images before he reached over to grab Catherine and tug her outside the common room.

Finally, they were out of the Slytherin's room as they guffawed and laughed freely. "I can't wait to see the greasy monkey's face tomorrow!" Catherine snickered, holding her sides as she wiped a tear off the corner of her eye.

"Same here," Remus said after catching his breath. Suddenly, his face morphed into one of seriousness as he held a hand up to Catherine. "Do you hear something?" he spoke in a hushed tone.

Catherine's laugh diminished as she strained her ears to listen. Very faintly, footsteps could be heard walking from a distance. Her head snapped up to meet Remus's eyes as she snatched the Map from the back of her jeans. Quickly unfurling it after saying the opening words, she saw a pair of footprints making its way to them. She felt panic fill her upon seeing who they belong to: Filch.

"Quick, that way!" she whispered harshly, pointing at the corridor to their right frantically as she struggled to stuff the Map at the back of her jeans.