24 : XO

Before they turn the lights out
Before our time has run out
Baby, love me lights out

24 : XO (edited)

Catherine was exhausted. Physically and mentally. She's been through pain beyond compare, the kind of pain she didn't even deserve. Catherine was a good person — just don't be a bitch to her and she won't be one to you as well.

Catherine had woken up from her very long sleep. Her body was sore, her back was completely numb, but the memory of the pain was forever etched in her mind. Her voice was raspy and hoarse from all the screaming in the Black Manor.

It just so happened that she woke up at the exact time James decided to go to the loo. With great difficulty, she used her instinctive magic to shut the door lock, making the alohomora charm unable to be used. For a while — she just wanted to be alone for a small moment before opening to them later.

Her friends have been taking turns knocking against her door and begging her to open it, but she refused — not wanting to speak to anyone. She could hear Peter apologizing outside, saying he didn't know there would be Death Eaters lurking around Hog's Head. Catherine didn't believe him — but she also didn't have solid proof he was lying.

Catherine had to stay strong. She wasn't going to cry and she wasn't going to give in to them telling her that everything's alright. She felt disgusted with herself. She knew she wouldn't be able to stand the sight of the horrible words permanently scarred into her back.

Never in Catherine's life had she felt so weak. So useless. So utterly powerless. She knew she was being rude and such a brat for locking her friends out, but if she couldn't stand to see herself right now, then her friends would most likely be disgusted by her as well.

It was the sort of pain that kept her numb of emotions, but mentally unstable.

"Cathy, please," Lily spoke to her. "I'm here for you. We're all here for you, Cathy. Please open the door."

Catherine was sitting up on her bed, her back not propped against the pillows even if it no longer hurts.

"I love you, Cathy," Lily let out a sob, "you're my sister and I love you. Please open the door."

Catherine shut her eyes tight to avoid crying. Her heart was aching and she was so close to feeling that immeasurable pain she's trying to avoid.

It was quiet on the other side for a short moment until she heard him.

"Valentine, I know what you're doing right now and I know what you're thinking," his voice was soft and gentle. It cracked a little, as though he was crying. "I know you're hurting right now, but you don't want to feel that pain and you're trying to shut out all your emotions. You don't have to do that, love, it's alright. I'm here, we're all here for you. It's okay to allow us to be the stronger one sometimes. Those people that hurt you, think of them as sandpaper. They scratch and hurt you, but in the end, you're polished. They're the useless ones."

Catherine hiccuped as a sob escaped her lips. She pressed her lips together as she tried to suppress her feelings. Her eyes and heart, however, betrayed her as tears began to pool at the corner of her green eyes.

"It's okay to cry, Valentine. It's okay to feel, too. You know why? Because crying doesn't mean you're weak, it shows how you've been strong for so long. And you know what, Valentine? The fact that you're here right now because you held on when Padfoot brought you out of there shows how strong you are. And you have no idea how much I am so fucking proud of you, Valentine."