18 : Real World

This can't be the real world now
I don't believe it, when I can't see the truth
Welcome to the real world now
The old are carried in now just to poison youth

18 : Real World (edited)

     "Itty bitty Valentiny, we need your help," was the first thing Catherine heard upon taking her seat in the Gryffindor table during breakfast the next week.

She had been avoiding James Potter since their fallout and she'd be lying if she said he hadn't tried to make up with her. He understood she didn't want to speak to him — he stopped badgering her and gave her the space she needed.

     It was now as though the two had never met — both were present among the Marauders' usual hangout but refused to look in the other's direction. Everyone had thought it was a silly lover's spat, but they were then allegedly said to have been broken up when their peers saw that they even switched seating arrangements. James was back to his usual place next to Lily, neither of them even talking to each other, and Catherine was either with Remus, Sirius, Peter, or the Prewetts.

     They may have fooled themselves into thinking the other no longer wanted part in each other's lives, but everyone could see through their fight.

     James Potter was depressed in the inside and Catherine Valentine was downright miserable. The two had been an unbreakable pair though they constantly bickered and went through awkward situations, and being away from one another affected them. James was more withdrawn than usual — he didn't even speak a word to Lily whenever they had class together. And Catherine barely managed a real smile nowadays, they were fake and strained.

     Sirius had discussed about the issue with Remus and Peter — the three didn't know what to do.

     Catherine glanced at the Prewett twins whom she'd sit with during meals. Because no matter how much she tried to forget, it hurt to even look at him. "What's the matter?" She frowned slightly, "If it's about pranks, you know I'm not feeling up to it—"

     "No, no, it's not," Fabian assured her before clearing his throat, a faint spray of reddish pink dusting his cheeks.

     This caused Catherine to raise a questioning eyebrow at Gideon who didn't bother hiding his chortles. "Skippy over here thought it'd be grand to play a prank on his new girlfriend."

     "She's not my girlfriend," Fabian murmured, his ears reddening.

     "Yet," Gideon sang.

     "Who is it?" Catherine asked, sounding the most interested she's been for the past week.

     "Elizabeth Miller, seventh year," Gideon replied. "Poor girl had to suffer from her voice being charmed to eagle squawks. Her brother isn't fond of Fabe, too."

     Catherine sighed just as how a mother would upon hearing their child had gotten in trouble. Again. "Oh, Fabe." Catherine shook her head gently before managing a slight smile at him. "Do you really like her?"

     Fabian let out a single laugh, avoiding Catherine's eyes as he played with his food. "'Course not, silly."

     Catherine stared at him flatly with an eyebrow raised.

     Fabian made a face before quietly answering, "More than you could imagine."

     "If you love her, then go get her. And when you do, don't you dare let her go. Hug her, hold her, cherish her, tell her you love her everyday." Catherine's eyes wandered to James Potter unconsciously. "Because one day she might change her mind and think you love another, and you'd be left with the pain you never expected to happen to you in the first place."