11 : Kings and Queens

We were the kings and queens of promise
We were the victims of ourselves
Maybe the children of a lesser God
Between Heaven and Hell

11 : Kings and Queens (edited)

     "What?! What do you mean Hufflepuff isn't playing against us tomorrow?" James's outburst against McGonagall's statement caused an uproar from all the Gryffindor Quidditch players.

     "Silence!" she chastised, although McGonagall herself was displeased with the announcement.

     "So we'll be playing against Ravenclaw, then," Catherine, the vice-captain, concluded.

     McGonagall shook her head with a sigh as she murmured, "You will be playing Slytherin."

     This caused another large protest from the players.

     "Professor, this is unfair!" their Keeper cried out, "we aren't ready to play against them!"

     "We need more time, Professor." Catherine's eyes were wide with desperation, not wanting to go out there unprepared.

     "Professor, please," James tried, "can't we postpone the game to Monday at least? We need to change game plays since we're going against different players with different weaknesses."

     However, McGonagall had a fierce, determined look on her face as she straightened her back. She looked through each of the seven players before speaking, "Are you not my Gryffindors? Are you not the brave? If there is anyone who can triumph against the Slytherins, it is the Gryffindors."

     Everyone hushed, McGonagall's speech getting to them as they mulled over her words with agreeing nods.

     She glanced at Catherine, a knowing glint in her eyes as she said, "Do not limit your capabilities." Catherine hoped McGonagall was the only other person Dumbledore told her Merlin secret to.

     Catherine paled, her eyes flashing around the students if they seemed to notice the double meaning. Only James seemed to realize this as he sent her a small smile. He reached a hand over to take hers, twining their fingers as he squeezed comfortingly.

     With that said, McGonagall told them that she booked the field for them to practice, then she turned on her heel and left.

     James spun to face his team. "You heard her, we can do this. Practice is after supper. We can't afford to lose." With grumbles of agreement from the team, James grabbed Catherine's hand, tucked it in his arm, and took off to the direction of the dormitories upstairs.

     "How's Moony?" Catherine asked guiltily, flinching slightly upon remembering what happened last night when she used her 'Merlin magic' to fling the werewolf across the room. Even when sunlight spilled in the room, shifting him back to a boy, he was still rendered unconscious.

     James glanced at her, a smile slipping on his face as he squeezed her hand that was tucked in his arm. "Hey, look at me." He got her to look at his shoes. "Valentine," he probed in a gentle tone as she finally glanced up to meet his gaze. His smile was warm as his eyes softened upon seeing the guilt in hers. "It's not your fault, alright?"

     Catherine frowned but didn't say anything, casting her gaze down to their shoes again.

     "Valentine," his voice was soft and soothing, "look at me." His hand rested on her shoulder as he tucked a finger under her chin, gently lifting it up. Catherine's jade green eyes met with James's hazel ones. He assured her once again, "What happened to Remus was not your fault, do you understand me? If it wasn't for you, we would've all been mauled to death. You saved us, Valentine."