Chapter Four: Jeremy and the Winter Garden

Birds were chirping loudly outside the window. It seemed as if each one of them tried to sing louder than the other, as if they were competing for a louder and better voice. He furrowed his eyebrows and opened his eyes. The room was dark, and the air seemed heavy. He popped himself on his elbows and sat up. He was not sure what was going on and where he was. His eyes scanned the room. It was a large, beautiful room, decorated tastefully according to the latest fashion. Thick velvet curtains were pulled together, not allowing the sunlight to enter. Velvet couch was occupied by a man. Gabriel's eyes narrowed to see better who it was. His heartbeat sped up when he saw the face of the man who sexually assaulted him.

Gabriel's chest clenched with fear. He looked around for an escape.

"Don't even try." Victor said not opening his eyes. Gabriel shivered and clenched his hands together.

"I...I wasn't going to." Gabriel replied quietly.

Victor stood up and walked to the window, with a swift move he pulled the curtains apart allowing the morning sunshine to enter the room. Gabriel winced as the light hit his eyes. As Victor walked closer to the young man Gabriel tried to move away with clear fear written all over his face.

"Don't worry; I will not do anything... for now." Victor said. He picked up a wet cloth and put it over Gabriel's forehead. A quiet sigh of relief escaped Gabriel's lips.

*His relief was too obvious.* Victor thought feeling a hint of annoyance rise inside him.

"From now on this is your home." Victor stated as he sat down on the bed close to Gabriel. "You can eat, sleep, use the any room including the library and go into the garden, but," Victor's gaze hardened, "If you try to escape, I will personally make sure that you will never see the sunlight again." The threat in his voice was so obvious; that Gabriel had no doubt that this man would make his words come true. "Do you understand?" Victor asked forcefully, bringing his face closer to Gabriel's. Instinctively Gabriel put his hands in front of him as if trying to protect himself. Victor moved away not wanting to scare him anymore.

*I will not apologize.* and only that thought alone kept piercing his mind as he picked up his jacket and walked out of the room, leaving Gabriel alone. *Never.*

***

"Hughes, I'm going out. You will be in charge as always while I am gone. Do not take your eyes off Gabriel." Victor ordered and left.

"Yes, master."

***

The door creaked open and a blonde head popped out. Bright blue eyes scanned the area and after making sure that no one was around, slim young man slipped out of the room. Gabriel walked down the long hallway. He looked around curiously and cautiously. The last thing he wanted to do was run into someone. It is not like he was trying to escape, not at all, he just did not know what to say or how to act when he would meet someone.

He glanced at the portraits that decorated the walls on both sides of the hallway. The portraits were all different but represented the same person. It was a beautiful woman in her mid-twenties. Her long brown locks fell freely on her shoulders and deep green eyes sparkled with unbelievable kindness. Gabriel stopped and clenched the shirt he wore. He felt a strange sensation run through his veins. This beautiful woman with kind and gentle eyes reminded him of his own mother.

"Mama..." the pain from many years ago came back in an instant. Gabriel shook his head trying to push back what was hidden away in his chest for years.

"Young Lord," he heard a familiar voice say. Gabriel turned around abruptly to see Hughes approaching him. "Did you enjoy your breakfast?" he asked as if nothing had happened. "Was everything to your taste?"