Chapter Ten: Echo that lingers in hearts

"Well, well, well...if it isn't Young Lord Angelo," that voice. He remembered it well. It was no other than Baron Shreds. It was the same man from ten years ago...the one who attacked Victor. Gabriel looked at Lord Shreds with an empty gaze.

"Lord Shreds," Gabriel nodded politely.

"Baron, to be precise," Baron Shreds corrected.

"So, you have improved your wealth status since the last time we've met," Gabriel commented coldly.

"Oh yes, unlike yourself," Baron Shreds smirked slyly. Young man glared at him but kept his mouth shut, he knew that Shreds had a point. "Your patron over there is also not an ordinary Lord, in reality his rank lies between Count and Duke."

Gabriel stared at him in confusion. It must have been obvious because Baron Shreds laughed sarcastically and raised his glass in the air.

"You didn't know?"

Gabriel did not respond. He did not want to discuss anything about Victor with this man, but he was too well mannered to simply walk away. Gabriel would never allow himself such rudeness. And so, he simply listened.

"Nobody knows anything about that man. He is a mystery in our circle." Baron Shreds allowed a garcon to serve him more wine. Gabriel watched as he gulped down the red liquid. Some droplets remained on his moustache and Shreds wiped it with a clean while cloth. "How did this man obtain his fortune? It is not known." Shreds glared at Victor's back. "He probably did it using illegal methods, vandalism and other indecent..."

"Stop it." Gabriel finally snapped. His gaze hardened as he glared at Baron Shreds. The anger that built up in Gabriel finally broke the wall of his self-control. "Stop badmouthing Master Victor." He said. "Does it please to say all those unnecessary and vulgar words?" he questioned as he took a step closer. "You don't know anything about this person and yet you still belittle him!" Gabriel's breathing got heavier.

Baron Shreds sent the young man a disgusted look.

"Insolent fool." Baron Shreds hissed. "Do not dare speak to me that way."

"I will say what I want; a person who allows himself to belittle people behind their backs is no better than an impudent fool!"

Baron Shreds' face turned red with anger. He dropped his glass on the floor and raised his hand to slap Gabriel. Gabriel's eyes shut, he was prepared to be hit, but the hit never came. He opened his eyes. To his surprise Victor caught Baron Shreds' hand in mid-air. His aura was heaving above Shreds. Those black eyes were eating him alive. "I do not appreciate your violence towards my partner," he said deadly.

"Tsk," Shreds tried to pull his hand back, but Victor held it firmly in place. The man squeezed Shreds' hand. If he applied any more force the bone would snap. Finally, Victor released Shreds' hand. Baron fell back with a frightful look on his face. It seemed as if all colour left his large face as he continued opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water.

"What is going on here?" the host of the ball quickly approached the scene. People started gathering around the three men and whispering increased.

"Nothing." Victor replied. His voice sent shivers down everybody's spine. "Everything is under control. Correct?" he glared at the man on the floor, who was so scared, that he could not even speak. Shreds just nodded. He rushed to get up, embarrassed in front of the public and left ever so quickly.

*I will get you back for this Cabrera,* Shreds thought as he yelled for his carriage to start moving. Shreds bit his fingernails and the skin around them, his eye continued twitching nervously. The inside of him was boiling. *You will regret what you have done today. You will wish you were never born.*