Chapter Nineteen: Trust [II]

"What is this?" Lee leaned over Archer's shoulder and looked at what his partner was making. The smell of melted metal tickled his nostrils. Archer did not look up, still concentrated on what he was making. "Bullets?" Lee furrowed his eyebrows and sat down.

"Silver bullets," Archer corrected, lifting one up with a pair of tweezers. He brought it closer to his face, studying the texture.

Lee poured some ale into a cup and took a sip. "Why do you need them?" he questioned.

"We need them when we face our current target. Don't tell me you haven't thought about it." Archer glanced at his lover who seemed to be preoccupied with the cup in his hands. Lee looked at the liquid inside his cup and paused with his reply. He did think about it. There was not a day he did not think of the time when they will have to face Victor Cabrera. Lee sighed. "What the hell are you sighing for?" Archer asked annoyed.

"I still think we should refuse this job," Lee said quietly.

Archer put away his instruments and sent Lee a long hard look. "We've talked about this,"

"I know, I know, but..."

"But nothing!" Archer barked feeling his anger rising inside him. He clenched his hands trying to calm himself down fast. "I don't understand why you keep on pestering about this. Is there something I need to know? Is there any connection...?"

Lee sensed where conversation was going. With one gulp he emptied the contents of his cup and put it aside. "There's nothing." he said. Archer kneeled beside his lover and took a firm grip on his knees. He looked straight into Lee's eyes as if questioning the truthfulness of his words. Lee looked up, not daring to gaze away. "I love you," he mouthed quietly. Archer clenched his knees and pressed his forehead to them. He was not the jealous type, yet sometimes...sometimes he wanted confirmation that Lee was his entirely.

"I know," Arched whispered against his lover's knees. "So, let us not talk about this anymore. This is our job, and I want to complete it. Don't you?"

Lee nodded, not wanting to continue the conversation, which seemed pointless all along.

***

"Good morning, young Lord,"

"Good morning, Hughes," Gabriel sat up on the bed rubbing his eyes. There was no sign of Victor or his presence at night.

"Do you wish to have your breakfast sir?"

"No, not right now," Gabriel replied distantly.

Hughes looked at the young man from the corner of his eyes. "As you wish," he bowed and moved away to exit the room.

"Wait Hughes..." Gabriel called. "Where...where is Master?" he asked quietly.

"He is in the garden, sir. Although, if you do wish to see him, I would kindly suggest hurrying up, because Master Cabrera is departing soon."

Without any longer delay Gabriel jumped off the bed and rushed to the door. He stopped in his tracks as he heard no one other than Hughes clearing his throat. "Young Lord, I do not think that your clothing is appropriate to step outside," he said every so carefully.

Gabriel blinked and instantly looked down at his nightgown, his cheeks covered in deep crimson. Hughes swallowed a chuckle and bowed before exiting the room. Young man grabbed a pair of trousers and yesterday's crinkled shirt and put them on as fast as he could. He was buttoning up the shirt as he ran down the stairs and outside the house. His heart was beating faster and faster and at one point, Gabriel could swear that it was going jump out of his chest.