Chapter Nine: Confusions

Victor opened his eyes. The same cold basement he saw during every transformation was darker than always. The pain was finally gone, but his body was weak. Very slowly he pushed himself off the floor and sat up while holding onto his head.

"Master how are you feeling?" it was Hughes. He unlocked the cage and walked inside. Stepping on the dried blood and clutches of fur he walked closer to his master and helped him up.

"Where is he?" Victor asked ignoring Hughes's question.

"Young Lord is still asleep."

Victor's black eyes widened in disbelief. Gabriel was still there? He did not run away even though he had the chance to do so. But why? Victor quickly walked up the stairs. He felt dizzy but he continued walking until he finally reached the library. He rushed out and made his way to his bedroom. He opened the door and walked in.

Gabriel was asleep under dark purple bedcovers. His hair rested all over the pillows. It was getting too long. Gabriel's face looked healthier than ever, calm and content. Young man sniffled in his sleep and curled into a ball. Victor tilted his head to a side. He walked closer and touched Gabriel's face. His skin was soft and tender under his fingertips. Dirty and tired Victor laid down beside Gabriel. He moved closer behind him and wrapped his arms around that slim body. Gabriel shifted in his sleep but did not wake up. Victor buried his face in Gabriel's long hair and inhaled his scent.

*You smell so good...* he thought. A wave of sleepiness and comfort washed over him. Victor closed his eyes and a few minutes later he fell asleep.

***

They woke up at the same time. Gabriel yawned sleepily and moved closer to the source of heat.

*So warm,* he thought until it finally hit him. His eyes shot open. Victor was watching him. Shocked and taken aback Gabriel tried to move away but Victor held him in place tightly. Gabriel did not object. He allowed Victor to force his head on his chest. Silently, Victor stroked Gabriel's hair. Gabriel moved his hand to Victor's waist hesitantly and hugged him. For a minute Victor forgot how to breathe. Gabriel's move was too unexpected. Victor was at loss and did not know how to react, and yet before he could do anything Gabriel made a move first.

"Welcome back," he whispered. "I've been lonely."

The urge to push him down and take him right there and then made Victor shiver. Master parted from Gabriel and stood up. It took all his self-restraint to hold back.

"Do not provoke me." he said. "Unless you are ready to be hurt." With those words Victor walked into the washroom. Gabriel looked sadly at the closed door.

"Victor..."

***

"Lord Gabriel," Jeremy ran toward Gabriel happily waving his hands in the air.

"Jeremy!" Gabriel smiled widely at the younger gardener. It has been a while since they've met outside, and Gabriel would lie if he said that he did not miss their long conversations full of laughter and enjoyment.

"I want to show you something!" Jeremy grabbed Gabriel's hand and brought it closer to his lips. At first Gabriel thought that he was going to kiss it, but Jeremy did not. "Follow me,"

"What is it? What did you want to show me?" Gabriel asked on the way, but Jeremy did not say a word until they reached the barn.

"Close your eyes young Lord," Jeremy smiled. Gabriel pouted but did as he was told. There were sounds, cracking noises coming from the barn and Gabriel felt tempted to have a look. "Now...OPEN!" Jeremy yelled.