Chapter Twenty-Five: Echo in the rain

Victor's day started early. With Hughes gone, he had to ensure that all the monthly preparations are made accordingly. He checked the strength of the cage, the quality of the locks, and ensured that the key from the locks was safely attached to one of the metal bars of the cage. Victor threw one last glance at the cellar and walked out. The cold stone staircase took him back to the library. Victor approached his desk and sat down.

The tray with steaming breakfast was awaiting him. Victor ignored the food and poured himself a cup of coffee. Despite the country's strong infatuation with tea, coffee remained Victor's drink of choice. The mail was neatly piled near the tray, and Victor hurried to look through the pile. The three weeks that Gabriel has been away from the estate have been difficult. Victor overloaded himself with work parallelly conducting his investigation, but even that could not fill the empty void. Hughes continuously reported to him through the mail, but there was still not a single letter from Gabriel. Young man did not even send a note. A heavy sigh escaped the master's lips. From the letters he was receiving from Hughes, Victor knew that everything was well with Gabriel. He was admitted to the university and settled into the dormitory. The classes have started and according to Hughes "Young Lord seems to be enjoying his time at the university...".

Victor could not help but wonder if he made a mistake by giving Gabriel all the letters. The sensibility took over and he convinced himself that there was no mistake. And the next correct move was to wait for when Gabriel was ready.

Victor continued looking through the post half-heartedly until his gaze stumbled upon a pale beige envelope with a *** University emblem. The address was written with care in neat small handwriting. Victor brought it to his nose and took a deep breath. He caught his scent. It was faint, but it was his. Victor's jaw tensed as he opened the envelope.

18**

Dear Victor,

I know I should have written to you sooner, but I needed time to think. I hope that you are well as time is approaching the full moon. It worries me every time I think of how you will manage on your own, but you have done it for so many years, so I do believe that everything will go smoothly.

I have read all the letters you have given me. There are a lot of things I would like to ask you and just as many that I want to say to you, but I shall not. I have promised myself to leave the past in the past and I want to start anew. I want to start it afresh with you. So, keep your promise Victor.

The university is wonderful. I am genuinely enjoying each day I get to spend there. The subjects are interesting, and the professors are sincerely determined to assist us on our journey to knowledge. When I was leaving the mansion, I was too preoccupied with my sadness and suspicions that I have never thanked you for this opportunity. Victor, thank you for doing this for me. Thank you for thinking about me, thank you for finding me, thank you for letting me have this experience. No words in the universe can describe for grateful I am.

Since we have arrived at the town, Hughes has been there for me wholeheartedly. He is very attentive, and I am glad that he is here with me. Selfishly, I clench onto him because he is my only connection to you. He is the only one that shares your secret with me and the only one I can talk to about you.

Despite the wonderful time I have been having here, I cannot stop missing you. I dare ask you this...Victor, do come see me as soon as you can or let me know when I can come back to see you. Do not make me wait long.

Yours truly,

Gabriel Angelo

***

Thunder shook the sky. The foul weather was escalating. People rushed down the dirty streets eager to find shelter and only one man walked calmly and measuredly. His black cloak was soaked through, yet he held his head up high. He stopped in front of the pub door and after a moment of hesitation he walked inside. The hood of his cloak fell back, revealing wet brown hair. He shook like a dog, sending raindrops flying. The regulars of the pub did not bother looking up. Their only concern was the yellow liquid, which filled their mugs as soon as they threw several coins on the table.

The man looked around. His gaze fell upon the only two individuals who were sober on that cold rainy day. He quickly approached them and sat down. No greetings were exchanged; there was no need.

"He dismissed all the servants for four days starting today,"

The blank looks on the men's face confused him.

"I am saying that he will be alone in the mansion." He repeated impatiently. "It is the perfect timing to..."

One of the men smacked his palms on the table, glaring. His partner briefly touched his hand, urging him to calm down.

"Archer," Lee said quietly.

Archer ignored him and continued staring at the young man in front of them. "Do not tell us what to do. We have been doing this job for longer than you can imagine." He hissed angrily. Archer pulled out a weighty pouch and threw it on the table in front of the man. A typical sound of coins hitting against each other came from the pouch. "A little something from us, to show our gratitude for the information, Jeremy." He said, sitting back on the chair.

Jeremy glared at Archer. He pushed the pouch back towards the man as if it was poisonous.

"I told you, I do not need money." He hissed.

Archer raised his eyebrows questionably, as if he had no clue. Lee watched them calmly, yet something in Jeremy's eyes troubled him. Although the young man looked composed, his eyes reflected insanity. The way they shone at the mention of his master. The way his jaw tensed each he finished talking. The obsession of Jeremy with Victor Cabrera was greater than the young man would ever admit.

"Then what do you want?" Archer asked.

Jeremy frivolously leaned back on the chair. "I want him dead."

***

"What are you thinking?" Lee's whispered quietly. His hot breath tickled Archer's ear.

"I think the guy is an utter fruitcake," Archer replied grumpily.

Lee chuckled lightly. His hand covered Archer's under the table and their fingers entwined.

"We will not proceed today. If our assumptions are correct, we must wait until the last day of the full moon."

Lee furrowed his eyebrows and nodded. He promised Archer that he will not touch the topic of dropping Victor Cabrera as a target and he was going to keep his promise. His grip on Archer's hand tightened. Archer gazed at him curiously. Their eyes met. A sudden splash of heat struck him. He felt it running through his veins from head to toe. Archer stroked Lee's hand with his thumb, not noticing his own breathing deepening. The surrounding sounds dulled as his pants got tighter. His throat felt dry, but he did not rush to take a sip from his drink. Lee watched him carefully. The charge in Archer did not come unnoticed. Lee leaned closer. "I want to go home. Do you?"

There was no need to ask twice. Archer's large figure stood up abruptly. The chair flew back roughly. He threw Lee a final lustful look before turning away and marching towards the pub exit. Lee followed closely behind.

***

"What are you doing here?" Victor groaned angrily. Alastair Harrington pushed past the master of the house as if Victor did not snap at him. Harrington never felt intimidated.

"I came to receive my payment in full." He responded, hanging his drenched coat on the luxurious chair.

"Now is not the time," Victor barked. His longer black hair fell freely on his shoulders. The shine in Victor's eyes brought a thrill to Harrington. Victor's broad shoulders were tensed under the thin material of his shirt. Alastair watched as he continuously clenched his fists. Sweat appeared on Victor's tanned skin, even though the mansion was cold.

"Now is the perfect time," Harrington smiled as if he knew something that Victor did not. It was the trait that Victor hated and feared in the man in front of him. He gave Harrington a long hard gaze; Victor's eyes darkened as his jaw tightened.

"Suit yourself." Victor spat. He pushed past Harrington and walked out of the mansion. Harrington did not follow. He knew that Victor would come back. The elder man took out his pipe and stuffed it with tobacco. He brought it to his nose and inhaled. The sound of the thunderstorm filled the room. The scent of wet soil tickled his nostrils. Harrington leaned back and lit the pipe. He closed his eyes and blew out the smoke. Harrington waited.

The wall clock struck midnight.

Harrington opened his eyes as a blood chilling howl echoed in the rain.