Chapter Eight: The window to the past

Gabriel followed Hughes into Victor's study. During his time in Cabrera mansion, he only entered this room once. It was small in comparison to the other rooms, darker and colder. Hughes opened the curtain and pulled out a chair for Gabriel. "Thank you."

Hughes bowed lightly and gracefully and sat down opposite the young Lord. Gabriel watched as the butler clenched his hands together. His wrinkly fingers turned white as he squeezed the hands tighter. "I do not know all the details of this story," he finally started. "But I will tell you everything that I know. I met master Cabrera ten years ago, that time I was just a simple shepherd. I worked for a noble man, who did not lead an honest way of life." Gabriel watched Hughes's face change for a second, but the butler took a hold of himself. The guilt ate Gabriel from the inside, he could tell that remembering the past was painful for Hughes, and yet he did not stop him. He urged Hughes to continue.

"It was a cold and starry night. I went into the field because my owner ordered me and that was where I found him. Covered in blood and wounds, he laid on the grass, not moving and barely breathing. To be honest, I wanted to walk away at first, but when I looked at his face, tears were streaming out his closed eyes. I remembered my son, who died two years earlier. And so, I helped him. After a couple of days, he disappeared, and I was all alone again. I did not hold it against him, and I was not angry, I was glad that he was finally better. My life continued as always until two weeks later a graceful man walked into my owner's house."

"Victor..."

"Yes. He paid an awfully expensive price for taking me away. I still don't understand why."

"He was probably grateful that you helped him that time..." Gabriel said quietly.

"That's what I think as well," for the first time a small but sincere smiled crossed Hughes's face. "But ever since then, I've been serving Master Cabrera loyally."

Hughes fell silent.

"Earlier..." Gabriel said, he did not want to specify when, because he was certain that Hughes would understand. "You told me not to hate your Master, why? You know what...he did to me. Why should I not despise such a person?"

"I understand your feeling, but please..."

"I've seen him before." Gabriel interrupted. He looked down at his hands. Long delicate fingers twitched. "When I was nine years old, I have sneaked to a forbidden party organized by my father. He was there for the amusement...they hurt him, tortured him...I...I've tried to stop them, but"

Hughes crossed his arms on his chest. "Who would listen to a child?"

"Yes."

"But, Young Lord, are you sure that whom you saw was Master Victor?" Hughes asked.

Gabriel nodded.

"I would never forget the fierce look in those black eyes,"

***

Victor

Why was he here? How did he find this place? Could it be that Hughes...no! Hughes would never betray me, which means...he found the way himself. Does that mean that this is the end? Will he run away after seeing this disgusting form? Of course, he will. Who would not?

Ugh...it is coming back. The pain is spreading throughout my body, running down my veins. What is this sound? Is that my voice? No. It is a growl of a beast. Arghhh...painful, it is so painful...Gabriel, where are you now?

How far did you manage to run?

***

"Master told me about his secret as soon as I entered this household. He told me that if I did not want to stay, I could leave as a free man, but I could not. Not after all that he had done for me."