Chapter Sixteen: Without a name

Gabriel

Three days and three nights I sat beside the cage, where Victor locked himself in before he transformed. The animal form was just as beautiful as I remembered it and I could barely take my eyes off him. Long black fur was almost sparkling in the candlelight and once I have even attempted to stroke it. I wanted to pass the fur through my fingers. I could almost feel it.

Victor was calm, and yet his eyes followed me with awareness each time I moved. Not once he tried to attack me, and I was glad. The thought of my emotions reaching Victor warmed my chest. I felt comfortable. At times like this I wished Victor remained in that form for a while longer; that way I knew that I was the only one special enough to remain by his side.

I never knew my own selfishness before I met Victor. Although I cannot close my eyes at certain events that happened previously, somehow Victor became the most important person in my life. I felt attached. When did my fear change to passion? And my loathing changed to love? I could not recall the moment. Another sigh escaped my lips; I have been sighing a lot lately. I shot a glance at the beautiful posture of Victor's beast form. He rested peacefully on the cold floor behind the bars. His eyes were closed but ears twitched from time to time, showing that he was not sleeping.

"Victor, can you hear me?" I asked out loud, but he did not move, so I repeated my question. Victor still did not make a sound nor move. "There are a lot of things I would like to tell you, but I do not know where to start." The words flowed out of my mouth. "My bitterness towards you vanished faster than it should have. I did not notice the peak where my feelings changed. When did my body and mind start to feel this shattering attraction towards you?" I blurred out. No longer could I control what I was saying. Everything that built up inside was quickly escaping my chest, leaving me feeling relieved. "I was jealous when I found mother's picture in your table. I was furious."

At this point my voice cracked and I could no longer speak calmly. "I know someone in my position has no place to speak, but the thought of me being a replacement infuriated me."

I moved the hair from my face and leaned on the wall. My eyes were closed, and I listed to Victor's deep breathing.

"Victor...I love you,"

***

Two men looked at the young stranger as if he was insane. The look in their eyes and on their expressions spoke better than any words, but the young man ignored their ignorance and continued talking.

"It is entirely up to you if you want to believe me, but I can assure you that every word spoken by me today is the truth."

"So, you are saying that he disappears every month although he never leaves the mansion?" asked Archer.

Jeremy nodded eagerly.

"Could it be illness?" Mr Lee continued.

Jeremy shook his head. "Every month is too much of a coincidence. I am telling you, that man is wicked!" he finally exclaimed heatedly. Archer urged him to stay calm and continue. Jeremy took a deep breath. "The wounds on his body heal too fast. His eyes are not the ones of a human being!"

"Are you trying to tell us that he is not a human being?" Archer was losing his patience. "Do you take us for a couple of fools?" he snapped.

Mr Lee touched his partner shoulder and shook his head.

"You are if you don't believe me, for I am speaking the truth!"

Jeremy breathed heavily. His cheeks were a deep shade of pink as he was trying to calm himself.

Mr Lee shook his head lightly at Archer.

"Why are you telling us all this information?" Mr Lee finally asked.