Accidentally in Love

The next morning was hell.

I had to get up at 7 in the morning to make it to the art class on time, and with Bobby calling me, I didn't sleep until 4.

Basically, I was a zombie.

I stumbled downstairs after getting dressed and saw my mom making coffee.

"Hey Caleb, you ready to go?" she asked with a smile. Her silky black hair was tied up in a bun, and her hot pink blouse stood out against her caramel skin.

"Only if there's enough coffee for me," I groaned. I poured myself a mug, sipping rather fast. I knew coffee was bad, but I rarely drank it.

"Did you even sleep?" she gave a sideways glance my way, condescendingly looking me over.

I shrugged and sipped the last of it, placing it in the sink before grabbing my messenger bag and heading for the door. She followed swiftly, locking the door behind her and climbing into the car soon after I buckled up.

As we pulled out of the driveway and weaved through the residential neighborhood, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I fished it out to see a text from my best friend Morgan:

Wanna hang at around 2?

I quickly shot a text back:

Sure. The Grove?

Not ten seconds after, she responded:

Yeah cool. See you then.

I put my phone away, turning to my mom and saying, "It's cool if I head to the Grove after my class, right? I can take a taxi."

"Yeah," she seemed surprised, "It's good that you get out and have fun. I know you're under a lot of stress, even if it is summer."

I nodded, no argument even in me. With art classes, summer homework, and babysitting gigs, I was swamped. I was lucky I was even free.

"Thanks," I mumbled, gazing out the window as the city rushed past.

We reached the building soon after that, and I said my goodbyes before running in and finding my way to the "Intro to Art" class.

The class was socializing, scattered among the easels placed neatly around the room. Mr. Patterson wasn't there, so I checked his desk in the far corner to see if he left a note.

Sure enough, there was a handwritten note reading:

Gone to work on design ideas for my art gallery. Be back around 1. Have the class review shading and see if they're willing to try still art again.

      -Mr. P

I sighed and crumbled up the note before tossing it to the trash. I looked around me, the windowless room suddenly feeling very bleak and colorless, despite the numerous projects that covered the cold steel walls.

That's when I started my duty as teacher's assistant and began the lesson.

*****

"Again?" Morgan mused, putting down her coffee cup with widening eyes.

"Yep," I sighed, fiddling with a loose strand on my shirt, "For the third time in a row."

She shook her head with disappointed eyes. "And he just leaves it to you. You're not even eighteen yet."

I shrugged then mumbled, "I enjoy it most of the time. They're great. And I learn a lot."