Anyway

"I love you."

"I love you too," I smiled a little, the static taking nothing away from the feelings of love he sent my way through the phone.

"Goodnight," his mellow voice whispered before hanging up.

No matter how great our phone conversations are, I'm always left feeling a little disappointed after hanging up with him. I could never explain that I wanted to talk to and be around him 24/7 because that'd make me seem more dependent on him than I already felt myself to be.

I looked at the ceiling and sighed. It was funny how much time I had invested towards Bobby and our relationship. The phone call lasted for about three hours, and that was after doing homework for two. Now it was getting late, and I was left feeling exhausted.

Nothing better to do, I hopped off my bed and trudged to the kitchen with fatigue heavy on my shoulders.

The house was eerily quiet, and the lack of sunlight glowing through the windows only added to it. I hated being home alone, and I also still feared the dark on a subconscious level; I was a little wary to walk through the house without light.

I grabbed some yogurt from the fridge and sat at the island, trying to relax. The day was so very long, and I didn't enjoy going through it alone.

It saddened me once I started thinking about Murphy. Is that really what the world was coming to? Me, of all people, thinking about how nice Murphy McCadden was?

You know how sucky the world is, I thought to myself.

Murphy was being too nice that day. It was simple, and yet so complicated. His motives, for example, were unknown, and his sincerity wasn't all that fake. So what was going on? What compelled him to suddenly point his moral compass north?

It was a question I felt would take quite a while to answer.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the front door opening. Finally, I thought. I watched from the kitchen as my mother walked in the door with more bags than I knew she left with. We're both avid shoppers.

I stood and walked to her saying, "Hey Mom, glad you're home."

"So am I," she said, panting a little, "Who knew San Diego nurses were so strict? Every minute of every day was scheduled for me. It was weird."

As she handed me a few bags to carry up to her room with her, I asked, "How'd you find time to shop, then?"

"A magician never reveals her secrets."

We shared a small laugh that eased the weight of my exhaustion. I was glad she was back. I didn't feel so alone anymore.

We both took the bags up to her room, and while she unpacked, I sat on her bed and watched.

"So how were your days alone?" Mom asked from her walk-in closet that she paid way too much money to remodel.

"They were alright, I guess. Boring," I lied through my teeth. It was really the opposite of "alright" and "boring" in my eyes. But she didn't need to know that.

"You didn't have that boy over, did you?" she called again, her patronizing mother voice making an appearance.

"Nope," I said honestly, "As you can see, the house is still intact."

"Well, I'd love to have him over for dinner sometime. Get to know him."

I chuckled a little too loud before saying, "Mom, you know him. We've been friends for years."

She walked out of her closet with pajamas on and a big smile. "Yes, but now he's your boyfriend. It's a different story."

"He's still the same person," I told her, though on some other level I was convincing myself of the same thing as well.