Timber

Luckily, I didn't get ambushed by anyone else throughout the rest of the school day. But it might have had something to do with my obvious stress.

I was tempted to not even go to the party and stay home, enjoying a comfortable silence that was needed after a day of noise and disturbance.

But a few things were stopping me.

For one, Bobby wanted me there. I didn't want him to face a whole crowd of unpredictable teenagers by himself.

Plus, I had never been to a high school party. Could I pass that up?

Stop thinking like a nerd, Caleb.

Once I got home from school, I was prepared to ask my mother to go, but I came home to an empty house.

"Hello?" I called out into the dead air of the household as I placed my bag under the table, a habit of mine I needed to stop.

I walked into the kitchen, checking for a note from my mother on the refrigerator. Sure enough, there was a neatly-written note in purple ink:

Gone to a nursing conference in San Diego. Won't be back for a few days. Sorry I didn't warn you, it came out of nowhere. Don't panic, there's enough food for you to last. Don't burn my house down.

-Mom

I snatched the note from under the Hawaiian vacation refrigerator magnet and reread it three more times.

Nursing conference?

Few days?

"Don't panic"?

Too late, I thought.

I sat down on a barstool behind me on the island and crumpled up the note.

Then I started over thinking.

Was it a sign? To go to the party? Should I take advantage of the opportunity and have fun to make up for the weirdness of the day I had?

At that moment, I almost heard a voice in my head:

Go to the party. Have fun. Support Bobby.

It was my choice whether or not to listen.

I sighed and fished my phone from my pocket to call Bobby. 

It rang twice before I heard his voice on the other end, "Hey."

"Hey, um, so that party. . . still up for it?"

*****

My room was a mess.

I'd tore my room and closet apart for three straight hours to figure out what to wear. I had a huge heap of "No" on my bed and not a single "Yes" item in sight. I had no idea what a newly out boyfriend of a football player was supposed to wear, and what would be considered "too gay" and the ever-rare "not gay enough". I also had to worry about where Bobby was deciding to take me before, since we had hours to spare.

What could satisfy him and majority of the student body?

I practically growled and kicked a stray pair of pants towards my window on the far wall, away from my closet. I had to find an outfit and I also had to worry about the mess.

Caleb, I told myself, Who cares?

No one would care what I was wearing, especially my own boyfriend. Why was I so concerned?

I looked back at the "No" pile, new mindset creating new perspective. I quickly grabbed black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt,my leather vest, and my black yarn infinity scarf (because I'm a total girl).