Bound to You

[A/N: the song for which the chapter is named, "Bound to You" by Christina Aguilera, is a beautiful song and I strongly recommend that you listen to the song before/during/after reading this chapter. It's very true to the tone of the chapter. Thanks a bunch for reading!]

"Hey, it's Bobby. Um, you may not want to talk to me, but I really need to talk to you right now. Just please give me a chance. I don't know what's wrong. Just. . .call me back. Please."

I played Bobby's voicemail for the tenth time, still wondering what to do.

It still wasn't over. Not for him.

"Caleb, you ready?"

My mother's voice snapped me out of my reverie. I locked my phone and grabbed my coat before flying down the stairs.

My mother was waiting in her black blouse, her hair cascading down her shoulders. She smiled and asked, "Excited?"

"Yeah," I scoffed, "excited to see why I've been teaching instead of him."

We both laughed as we walked out of the house and into the humid summer air.

On the way to the art gallery opening, Bobby's message kept replaying in my head. I was seriously debating whether or not to call him back. And I knew that the only thing stopping me was myself.

I was sure Megan was definitely done with me, no matter what pleas I gave.

But I'd feel guilty if I tried something with Bobby knowing she was so broken up.

I didn't know what to do about him, but all I knew was that not talking to him was weighing down heavily upon me. I was feeling really alone, and the sadness was like a ball and chain on my foot, slowing me down and keeping me from focusing on moving forward with life.

It was so bad, I didn't want to go to the art gallery opening.

Regardless, I was going, and I expected to have a good time.

My mom pulled up in front of the venue, a small space in West Hollywood. The bright lights through the numerous front windows seemed to light up the cold dark of night, and it was strangely alluring.

"You sure you don't need me to pick you up?" my mom asked.

"I'll be fine, Mom. Go have fun."

I got out, waving goodbye to my mom as she drove off to a gathering of her own.

I walked in, handing the guy at the small black podium my ticket. People were standing around, waiting for the people to reveal what's behind the massive black curtain that cut them off from the rest of the room.

I stood around as well, not really engaging in conversation like everyone else. Who could I have talked to? They were all adults. And they seemed already acquainted. I was seventeen, and alone. It was sort of parallel to my life.

Almost everyone was dressed in black, and those who weren't wore some dark color. The dark seemed strangely representative of my sadness, the dark pit I was spiraling down, aimlessly and without direction. I had to close my eyes for a second, feeling a little overwhelmed; I had a bad feeling.

I looked around, hoping to see anyone I knew, but everyone was a stranger to me.

"Caleb!"

A familiar voice grabbed my attention, and I turned to see Piper walking towards me, her black cocktail dress flowing around her like a drape in the wind. 

She immediately linked her arm to mine and excitedly said, "Are you ready for this?"

"Uh, yeah," I smiled as best as I could, "You were invited by Mr. Patterson?"