Summer Nights

"Wait, he what?" Bobby laughed, almost choking on popcorn.

"He was practically begging you to fuck him, I swear," I joined on the laugh, my stomach hurting from laughing so hard.

We were in the man cave basement, watching a movie that he'd thought I'd like: Brokeback Mountain. His choice was idiotic, but we were enjoying it nonetheless.

He started to calm down, coughing up a kernel and placing it in between his teeth. He exposed it to my face and said, "Take it."

I gave him the weirdest of looks as I asked, "What?"

His voice was muffled, as he was clenching his teeth, but it was distinct as he said, "Take. The. Kernel."

"Uh, no," I said, trying to act disgusted, but holding back a chuckle. He had a wide smile, and the deformed kernel looked weird in contrast with his pearly white teeth, and he was extremely close to my face.

He shifted even closer, insistent on me taking the kernel from his mouth. His eyes lit up with fierce determination as he said, "Take it, Caleb. Take the kernel."

"I'm not taking a kernel of popcorn you almost choked on!" I exclaimed, retreating playfully as his figure loomed over me. I was pushing against his chest as he invaded my personal bubble with stealthy grace. Bobby persisted, his firm body not letting up. By this point, I was giggling uncontrollably like a toddler, and it only made the situation that much worse.

Then, someone cleared their throat.

Bobby's head snapped towards the stairs, along with mine, to see his Uncle Thomas.

He was a heavyset man, who practically defined the term "redneck," with his camouflage cap, flannel, and very thick salt-and-pepper beard. I felt bad for even thinking it.

He glared at Bobby with cold blue eyes, and I could tell he was silently judging him. The air around us seem to electrify, like lightning was preparing to strike.

"I'm leaving for work. Don't get arrested," his Uncle Thomas said with quiet authority before heading back upstairs.

I looked back at Bobby and mumbled, "He did not look happy."

"That's Uncle Thomas for you."

I sat a little closer to Bobby as I said, "Spit out the kernel, weirdo."

He simply shrugged and spat the tiny object in the other direction. He turned to me, smiled, and gave me a gentle kiss on my nose.

"That's your only freebie. I'm not giving up so easily next time," he said in a low voice.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Sure."

We went back to watching the movie in comfortable silence. I scooted closer to him every few minutes, making sure there was no space between us. The whole time we were sitting there watching the cowboys' love story, I couldn't help but think about how happy I really was with him. He made me feel safe. Comfortable.

I took a deep breath and rested my head on his shoulder with my eyes closed. I wanted to revel in his warmth, his existence.

In that moment, I made the realization that he was my everything.

Bobby Barr was my world.

*****

The rest of the summer was spent in absolute bliss. We went anywhere and everywhere we could.

We went to the Santa Monica Pier mid-July and had a blast, and later that night we walked on the shores of Venice Beach, where we told each other just how important we were to one another. Moonlit kisses were also a huge bonus that I managed to indulge in quite a bit.