Say Something

Two weeks.

Nothing from him.

He wasn't at school, he wasn't answering my texts or calls, and he didn't come back home at all, not even after homecoming to even pack something.

I did that night, though, in tears and a white tux ruined by giant skid marks from landing in the street.

I forgot how I got home, or what my mom said to me when I got home. I forgot when exactly I took off my clothes or showered or changed into my pajamas.

But I remember climbing into bed. And I remember crying all night.

Those next two weeks were hell.

In the first week, every call I made would go to voicemail after one ring. That at least let me know he was there. Ignoring me on purpose, but there.

The second week, though, he let it ring.

And that left me upset and scared.

I had no idea where he was. He couldn't have gone back to his uncle after what happened, and he definitely didn't have enough money to stay at a hotel all that time. Not knowing where he was, him letting it ring put all sorts of scary thoughts into my head.

What made it even worse was that at the same time Bobby was ignoring me, I was ignoring Murphy.

He called me at least four times a day, even during school. That first week, I hung up immediately, but in the second week, I set his ringtone to vibrate and let it ring.

That left room for introspection.

It was obviously a very bad cycle of ignorance, and it only made me feel worse about myself than I already did. I pretty much did to Bobby what he did to Megan. Nothing against Bobby, but it was still pretty jacked up.

And it wasn't even me.

It was Murphy.

Which brought me to the "why" regarding his kiss.

No one, and I do mean absolutely no one, would have pegged him as gay. Homecoming night and his actions made no sense, and at the same time, they made perfect sense.

It made sense why he was so angry.

It made sense why he tensed up every time I talked to him.

It made sense why he cried so hard in my shoulder.

It was unrequited love.

But I still didn't understand why the love was there in the first place.

Murphy hated me all throughout high school. I developed a genuine fear of this guy and the things he could do to me. I had nightmares about him for two years.

How in the hell did that equal love?

My confusion lingered, but I didn't have the mental or emotional capacity to dwell on it. I was too worried about Bobby.

And I wasn't the only one.

Apparently, Bobby went completely MIA after Homecoming; he was ignoring everyone, and hadn't shown up for any classes or practices. And Emma made it her mission to figure out why.

She had found me during lunch, eating alone.

"Where's Bobby?"

She lacked her usual goofy banter, and her eyes were filled with sincerity. She was worried. It was clear that she, along with half of the student body, knew about what went down at Homecoming.