Love Story

Murphy dropped me off at home after spending majority of the day at LACMA. We had a great time, and before he left he asked me an interesting question.

"Are we. . .friends? I know it might be weird."

I didn't even think as I said, "Definitely."

"To which part?" Murphy asked with a smile.

"Both."

After he was gone, I was left feeling sort of liberated. An unknown weight lifted off of my shoulders.

But the weight of me and Bobby's fight was still there.

It was, that is, up until I walked into the house.

"I'm home, Mom!" I called into the abyss of the house.

"Where have you been?" my mom said as she was coming down the stairs. She stopped once she saw my haircut.

"Oh wow! You look great!"

"Thanks, Mom. Sorry, I went to go get a haircut."

"Clearly," she stepped closer, "Well, that's okay I guess. It is your head."

She turned to head back to her room and said behind her back, "Oh, there's something for you on the kitchen counter. It was on the doorstep earlier."

I looked towards the island and saw a tiny box wrapped in metallic red wrapping paper and a single red rose.

I practically sprinted to the kitchen, eager to see what it was.

I opened the box with furious speed, seeing a white box under the metallic cover. I slowly took the top off, to see Bobby's apology.

It was an apology in the form of a silver chain necklace, with one single circular locket. I opened it and saw that there was a picture of Bobby and I in Disneyland, kissing under the illumination of the fireworks show. I forgot he had all of our pictures from that trip printed. It was also inscribed with the words, "Love you, kid."

Majority of the time, I absolutely hated it when he called me that. But seeing it on that locket made me smile.

It was an adequate apology, even if he never said the words, "I'm sorry."

*****

My legs shook on the walk towards Bobby's door. I was terrified to speak to him after last night.

It wasn't the first fight we've had, but it was our first fight as a couple, and it was much more painful that way.

It was those kind of things that made me feel as though us as a couple may have been a bad idea.

I was at his door, taking shaky breaths. I knocked four times, with quiet determination.

My hands found my pockets right after, anticipation eating away at my heart.

The door swung open not too long after, revealing Uncle Thomas standing in the doorway with a stoic facial expression.

"Oh, uh. . .hi. I'm looking for Bobby. . .?" I sort of mumbled. Uncle Thomas always terrified me, and I didn't know why.

"He's not here yet," he grunts as his arms crossed over his broad chest. He had Bobby's ice blue eyes, but his seemed to burn through me like fire rather than Bobby's soft and comforting gaze.

I looked down, not wanting to ignite under Uncle Thomas's gaze. "Oh," I say, "Okay."

I was about to turn around and run, but his gruff voice said, "Come in, you can wait for him."