I Knew You Were Trouble

Despite the imminent argument that Megan wanted me to have with Bobby, I was extremely excited to go to Universal. I had wanted to for years, but I hadn't been there for some odd reason.

Fate probably had something to do with it.

As I waited by the giant Universal fountain, which had a bunch of people crowding around trying to get a picture, I started to get a little impatient. It was a nice day to be outside, so I wasn't too irritable. But I was anxious as hell.

I waited for Megan, hoping that Bobby wouldn't come.

Did I not want him to come?

I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to figure out what his problem was.

I especially wanted to figure out why he tried to kiss me.

And possibly save our friendship.

I became lost in my thoughts, the throngs of people becoming white noise in the background. I had a really bad feeling, and my excitement for the day just created a weird mixture that flipped my stomach.

What will today entail?

I looked around once more, and caught Megan's eyes, more than thirty yards away. Right next to her was Bobby.

And he looked pissed.

It wasn't a noticeable anger, but I knew him well enough to see it. His jaw was clenched, and his eyes were stoic; almost empty.

They made their way to me, and Megan smiled at me. "Ready for this?" she breathed excitedly.

"Yeah," I mumbled, trying for a smile. Bobby stood there, his eyes turned away from both of us, not wanting to speak obviously.

I saw what Meg meant by distant.

"Let's go," I quickly said, walking towards the ticket center. I didn't want to do this anymore, but I wasn't gonna let Bobby ruin this experience.

*****

"Water World starts in fifteen minutes! Let's try to make it!" Megan exclaimed, hurriedly running towards the back of the park (which was weird, considering she was faster than most people and only had one leg).

Bobby and I trailed behind, and I took a quick glance at him. He didn't look at me, just kept walking and looking ahead. The silence was sort of scary; he was usually very talkative, and being at a place like Universal would have him chatting nonstop. But we silently walked, me not wanting to say anything and him refusing to.

Water World was an outdoor show that the park put on about a future where the polar ice caps melted, leaving the world covered in water. It's an amazing show that had action--more fire than water, surprisingly--and it ended up becoming a movie.

The show was spectacular, and I had a hard time trying to keep up.

As a gas tank exploded, I could feel the heat from the fire touch my face, as we were seated pretty close. I turned away, afraid my eyebrows would get singed off. I ended up turning towards Bobby, who was staring at me. We were both caught off guard, and before any words could be spoken, he turned away, looking at the show.

I looked forward again, thinking. Why would he stare? He had been doing that a lot lately, but that was when we had actually been talking. Now, I had no idea why he'd stare again.

Was I over thinking things?

Something was up, and I intended to find out.

Later on, we explored the park, finding interesting characters. Megan bonded with Beetlejuice, Bobby took a photo with Marilyn (the only time he actually smiled), and I had a conversation with a French police officer. . . in French.