Counting Stars

"Something is definitely wrong with you."

I looked at Morgan apprehensively, as she said to me what I already told myself after Bobby's party a week prior; our topic of conversation, actually.

"I thought it would be a good idea, inviting Meg. I didn't know she would say what she did."

Morgan gave me an apprehensive glare, trying to hide a smirk but failing.

"Look," I said , trying to avoid her piercing gaze, "can't we just keep looking and not talk about it? It happened, it's over. I need an outfit!"

We continued our walk through H&M, looking for an outfit I could wear to the game prior to the homecoming dance. It had been a week, and I was still reeling. I had never gone to a school dance before, let alone with a hotshot football boyfriend that everyone would be watching. It frayed my nerves, actually. Naturally, I wanted options as far as outfits to calm my nerves.

We stopped at a rack full of simple, short-sleeved shirts. Morgan turned to face me, her warm brown eyes feeling a little cold on my skin. "I know her words were a little out of line," she muttered, her comforting voice at an odd contrast with her grimace, "but you should have told Bobby first. That is his ex. There's a history, too. It's dangerous. Especially for you."

I looked back at her, still on guard. She had a point, but I was still trying to let it go back to the past where it belonged. There was no ill will, so I didn't like dwelling on it.

"I know, I know, but I'm not trying to worry about it anymore," I responded, escaping her gaze by looking through the shirt rack.

I could see her shake her head in my periphery, an exasperated sigh leaving her lips. She began to file through the racks as well.

I was admiring the array of long-sleeved shirts when the feel of human hands on my shoulders made me jump in place. I turned to see Bobby, wide-eyed and grinning, with Murphy right behind him.

"Hey, Bobby," I said with a smile, "Hey, Murphy. You scared me, I didn't know you'd be here."

As Bobby's hands circled around me, Morgan said, "What's up, Bobby?" Morgan and Bobby didn't exactly know each other, but mutual friends made it hard for them not to interact. Morgan didn't want to go to his birthday party just because she didn't know him. I had the feeling, though, that it was because she didn't really like him. "I'd rather go to yours and deal with him there," she had said.

He smiled widely and told her, "Not much, just surprising my boyfriend."

I turned to look up at him. "Surprised, definitely." I grinned widely, tracing my fingers lightly over the skin of his forearms, which were now tight around my body.

His smile grew a little mischievous as he said, "Well, though I know I'm a pleasant surprise–" I cut him off by elbowing him in the stomach playfully, which was becoming a thing of ours.

"Sorry, sorry," he laughed. He knew I had taken on the responsibility of making sure his blatant cockiness was in check.

"Though I know you're surprised," he continued, a tinge of annoyance in his voice, "I actually have another surprise in mind."

"Oh?" I made a sound of excitement similar to that of a choking fish, "Where to?"

"Somewhere."

I sighed, looking back at Morgan, then turning back around to face Bobby. "What about shopping? I haven't picked an outfit yet."

Murphy clears his throat, glad he had a chance to speak after minutes of silence, "That's why I'm here. I'll be picking your outfit and taking it back to your house while you two are off...canoodling." The distaste he had in using that word oozed out of his mouth rather noticeably.