Jackhammer

Tears cascading down my face, I stepped into the empty art classroom.

I slammed the door behind me and leaned against it, pain weighing me down like an anvil. So intense, I could feel pressure in my chest that wouldn't give up.

Why did everything have to fall apart as soon as Bobby comes around?

The tears began falling harder, and they seemed to have strings attached to them. They dragged me to the ground as slow as they fell. I could feel myself collapsing within myself, breaking, crumbling.

I shuddered vigorously as I relived what had transpired hours before.

*****

I approached Megan's doorstep, scared out of my mind. I was reluctant to talk to her and try to mend the fissure I had so foolishly created. The way her house towered over me didn't help with the nerves either.

I looked at her driveway. Her parents weren't home.

Was that good or bad?

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, then rapped against her door slowly.

Soon after, the door creaked open, revealing a very puffy-eyed, despondent-looking Megan.

I felt horrible.

"Leave," she growled before I could speak, and she tried to slam the door in my face.

I placed my foot in the way, and the door stopped with a soft thud. Thank heavens I wore boots that day.

The door slowly reopened. Megan didn't look too happy to do it.

I gazed at her, feeling so guilty that I wanted to fall to my knees. I stood my ground, and took one more deep breath before attempting to speak. When the words didn't come, I cleared my throat and shuffled nervously. Her hard gaze pierced through my confidence and stripped me bare, leaving me vulnerable.

This was gonna be harder than I thought.

"I came to apologize. What happened yesterday was completely uncalled for and I understand that," I told her, the words spilling out desperately. It seemed as though they wanted to reach Megan as fast as possible, get her to listen, but my mouth wasn't working fast enough. "I wasn't even thinking."

"Apology rejected, now go," she flashed an angry smile before trying to close the door.

"Megan, please, I'm trying to fix this!" I cried, reaching out to stop the door from closing again.

"How? How can you fix this? I ask you to help me find out what's wrong with my boyfriend and I discover that he's been seeing you behind my back? How can you possibly fix that?"

"We weren't seeing each other," I desperately tried to explain, "It was just one stupid kiss and I regret it completely!"

"No you don't, Caleb! I see way you look at him! You are just as in love with him as I am."

Her words made me falter. I did love him, of course. I didn't realize that I had made it so obvious. But what really stopped me was what she had said before that: did I regret it? It was probably the best kiss I had ever experienced, and to finally learn that he had true feelings for me made my heart jubilant. But did I have to lose a friend because of it? It didn't seem fair.

"Megan, I'm sorry, you have no idea how sorry I am. I don't want to come in between you two."

She scoffed and spat, "Well you did a bang up job, considering how we aren't talking. I've tried texting him, calling him, asking him just what he was thinking, but nothing. We're over, and I can't help but place the blame on you."