Don't Let Me Down

I laid back onto my bed, sighing.

Two weeks. Fourteen whole days and nights.

Not one word from Bobby.

I didn't dare try to talk to him about what happened in the art room; I knew he wouldn't talk until he was ready.

I glanced at my phone on my bedside table, hoping it would light up with a call.

Why won't he talk to me?

I crossed my arms and fidgeted with my sleeves. I was growing rather restless, and I couldn't help but feel responsible for the silence.

I knew he was taken.

And straight, moreover.

Why did I lean in?

The better question: why did he lean in to begin with?

I felt like maybe I was imagining things.

Was I?

I just needed an explanation.

The silence was deafening. It usually didn't take this long for Bobby to compose himself. I know him well enough to know that.

But if you know him so well, how come you didn't predict his want to kiss you?

I shook my head, my thoughts becoming a bit tiring. I just wanted to talk to him, figure things out, and maybe preserve the friendship that seemed to be falling apart.

He'll call tonight, I thought, he has to.

I was laying in bed, intermittently checking my phone for any sign that he tried to make contact. I skipped dinner to make sure I wasn't busy when he called. If he called.

I took a deep breath, trying not to lose myself in a fit of frustrated tears.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I waited until 2 A.M.

Nothing.

*****

I walked into the Denny's, searching for a familiar head of blonde hair.

The restaurant was bustling with people. The familiar clatter of forks and spoons against plates echoed throughout the place, seeming to bounce across the restaurant in a beeline.

"Caleb!" I heard a voice call out from a booth in the right corner. I caught Megan's green eyes, her hair shining in the light through the window she sat beside.

I quickly made my way over and took a seat, placing my bag next to me.

"It's so great to see you," Megan smiled brightly, showing off her dazzling white teeth.

I returned the smile and said, "It's great to see you too."

She grabbed her napkin and spread it across her lap before saying, "I just missed us. Just hanging out like we used to."

I just smiled tightly, a little upset that she decided to call me out of nowhere to hang out. I had enough to deal with regarding Bobby, and his girlfriend was something I wanted to avoid putting on the list.

"So, what's been up with you?" Megan asked, toying with the silverware that she had beside her hand.

I shrugged, "Just the art class, summer work, the usual."