Chapter 5:

The last twelve hours had been spacey and blurry. Most of what I could remember was Ryder hurriedly carrying me to the toilet so I could throw up the little food that he tried to get me to eat. There was one point he put me in the shower hoping the cool water would calm me enough to stop it.

It had been less than a day since I saw that my baby was healthy and now it seemed that my body wanted to reject that news.

I hadn't even noticed I had fallen asleep until I felt the overwhelming sense of tingles up my arm. Slowly I forced my eyes open to see Ryder sat at my hip with my arm over his lap. Riley was sat on a small seat in front of us.

"What?" I asked my lips sticking with how dry they were.

My eyes were on Ryder but his were on Riley and I followed them. She was sat there with a soft smile on her face, this was the first time I had seen her since she told me about Reynolds.

She swallowed deeply before she spoke. "I think you might have something called hyperemesis gravidarum, which in other words is severe morning sickness. You've developed it a little later than normal but you haven't been able to keep anything down and now you're dehydrated."

"Is the baby okay?" I asked squirming in closer to Ryder. Riley's eyes flicked to Ryder for a quick second and I scowled. "You two better not be keeping anything from me."

"The pup is fine." Riley says as she looks back to mine. "You will need an IV drip to get your nutrients and fluids up and after that I will put you on anti-nausea medication because this won't go away overnight. It might last another week or two or through the rest of the pregnancy."

Riley looked at me for permission and I nodded without a second of hesitation. My eyes moved away from her up to Ryder who was still running his fingers over my forearm trying to distract me from what was about to happen. I winced as I felt the needle entered my skin and Ryder had to tighten his hold to stop me from pulling back.

"There's one other thing." He says as Riley wraps a bandage around my arm to cover up the IV. "Reynolds has showed some signs of responding."

The second I heard those words I tried to sit back up but I was pushed back down by both Ryder and Riley. My chest rose and fell quickly with heavy breathes. Riley pulled her hands back but Ryder kept his hand on my shoulder, stretching out his finger to run it over his mark.

"You have to rest for now. Reynolds is only responding to touches against his nerves it doesn't mean he will wake up." He continued to massage the sensitive spot of my neck. "You can go and see him when you're better."

"I'll be back in half an hour to check on you but you have to rest. If you don't get the nutrients, neither does the pup." She said as she left the room shutting the door quietly behind her.

Our room was quiet except for the small crackles of the fire that warmed the area. Ryder tickled his fingers over the palm of my hand as I stared down at the covered area of my arm. I was never okay with needles and he knew that.

"Have you seen him?" I ask pulling my arm back from his hold.

Getting up from his seat at my hip he moves to lie back down beside me his arm gently winding around my waist beneath my growing belly. I could feel that the fluids where already starting to work its way through my body making me better but I was still feeling tired.

His fingers smooth over the exposed skin of my hip as he speaks. "No. I called Riley up to check on you and when she came up that's when she told me. I'm going to tell you everything Lottie, you can trust me."