The Quest For Truth

"Not to him as a woman, of course," she was mumbling while Joshua watched, "but as a debt owed. Blood for blood."

Joshua held still, the door still open, watching the fire light alighting her thin face, setting her wild red hair on fire and almost making her green yellow eyes transparent. She wasn't typically beautiful, but she she made a striking picture with her strong, slim frame encased in a deep emerald cloak. Even now a part of him drew towards her, despite the rambling she seemed to have suddenly overcome with.

She was whispering to herself, starting to say something tentatively to him before stopping, and then she looked at him, lips pursed, to the decanter on his table. "May I?" she didn't wait for his answer, stalking to the drink, poured herself a glass, and took a deep drought, followed by a coughing fit.

Joshua watched her with increasing fascination.

Then she turned to him. Joshua watched her, leaving the door, which slowly slid shut, and loosely folding his arms.

"You read a lot, don't you, Joshua?"

He should insist for her to address him formally, but she looked so agitated that he let it go. "I do."

"Alright." she took a deep, shaky breath, "Then consider what I'm about to tell you...a story."

"A story."

"It's the only way I can tell you the truth. It may appear wild and unbelievable, but in all of that is a thread of truth."

He studied her earnest face. "Alright." he said slowly.

She nodded, taking a deep breath, "My father was a magistrate for the King of my country. King Sebastian Kohl." She stilled, seeming momentarily overwhelmed, "I can't believe I'm really telling you this."

A spark of concern rose inside him despite himself, "You don't have to say anything you don't want to."

She shook her head vigorously, "No, I need...I want you to understand. To whatever extent you can." she paced the room, then turned to face him, "Him being the magistrate, he got to witness some of the King's very intimate moments. Therefore, he was there when King Sebastian, enraged at his daughter for producing a son out of wedlock, banished the boy out of our rea--out of our country." she winced slightly, tripping on a word. Joshua could swear she had wanted to say realm, but he supposed that was too outlandish for her, even in the bounds of her own story.

"The King had five sons and one daughter, all of whom he loved very much, and sought fiercely to protect." she tangled her fingers together as she told him, her face shining with emotion as if she believed every single word of her story, "It might have seemed harsh to send a newborn away, but it was what was best for him, for the king had enemies more powerful than anyone could comprehend. This land, you see, our land--it had three kinds of people. The humans, much like yourself, but very...very rare, almost to the point of being extinct.

"The faeries," she continued, and Joshua's eyes widened, "the original inhabitants of the land, before traveling humans lost during their voyages discovered and started to colonize it. And...and us." she took a shaky breath, "The inbetween."

Joshua studied her in rising shock. She might be phrasing this as a story, but she clearly believed every word, and that compounded with her friend's insistence that he had a magical ability to feel emotions...Good God, they were all mad.

He slowly moved away from the door, staring at her to make sure she didn't make any sudden movements. She looked overwrought.

"We are a product of centuries of breeding between faeries and humans. The faeries allowed it, you see, because of a rising epidemic of infertility within their race. They tolerated the peaceful invasion and with the humans, found a venue to breed and pass down their blood, their magic."