The Princess's Folly

Even as he said it he couldn't believe it. He would have trusted the man with his life. He had overseen the training of most of his soldiers, led the searches of the Prince himself until Sebastian had ordered him to stay back and oversee the war efforts. After he had lost his family, Shrader was the only one he would have thought to confide any of his thoughts to, despite the fact that he was too young for the king's council. He had sent the man's sons with his ward, trusting no one else with her safety.

And he had...defiled his daughter...all those years ago.

He had had the guts to stand right in front of him, all these years, and pretend to be his confidante...

"You rank philandering bastard!" the king roared, fire erupting on his hands, "I'll have your head for this!"

Shrader raised the shield--the Kohl family shield he had snatched on the way in--and his eyes blazed in reciprocal fury, "I was not yet thirteen, Sebastian. I was younger than your daughter!" he snarled, as Sebastian hurled balls of fire at him.

"She was innocent!" Sebastian roared, "She was innocent and you defiled her, you whoreson bastard!"

"So was I!" Shrader roared back, "I was a boy."

"A boy already siring bastards!" A huge fireball bounced off the shield, "Fight with me, you coward--!"

Shrader's sword clanged out, "I'm not afraid to fight you, Kohl, and you know it. But I won't let you die without knowing the truth." he glared at Sebastian, "She wasn't as innocent as you thought. She had the powers to camouflage, damn it, far more powerful than anyone in the realm if you recall!"

Sebastian lowered his arms, growling and spitting, "What do you think you're saying?"

"She came to me, disguised as a mature woman. She seduced me."

Sebastian saw red, "Shut up!"

Fire roared over Shrader, who used the shield, just as Dick and Tony stirred over the shock, letting out yells of anger. "Stay out of it!" Shrader sent his sons a sharp look of warning before turning his glower to Sebastian, "You know women did it, Sebastian." Shrader glared, "They took advantage before I learned to watch out for myself. You spoke to me about it once, damn it!"

"My daughter wouldn't--she wasn't--"

"She was innocent." Shrader said in disgust, "Too innocent to understand what she was getting into. But you have forgotten in your grief over her that she was spoiled as well. She wanted what everyone else did, like all others!"

Sebastian glared fiercely at the man in anger and grief. He remembered how Shrader had been at that young age--he had grown taller and looked much older than his age, and without the beard, he had had nothing to hide his face. Women and faeries alike had sighed over his magnificent beauty wherever he went, so that even the King had heard of this boy that everyone was restless over.

He had seen the boy himself when he had strolled inside his throne room, proud and unflinching, and demanding a place in his army. Having expected an effeminate rake, Sebastian had been surprised to see the seething determination in the boys eyes, the hint of strength even in his then young frame. The tight fists on those strong wrists and the battle posture had made it clear to Sebastian that this child had a point to prove, and he he had allowed him in the army despite his council's jibes that the boy should be sent to practice with a wooden sword.

The boy had excelled in training, already a swordsman to be reckoned with at that young age. His presence in the court had roused interest, and certainly amusement with all the women constantly fluttering and sighing over his finespun gold hair and bold features, not to mention his developing muscles. Men to whom the women belonged hadn't been as thrilled, however, and Sebastian had heard of the numerous battles men engaged him in over those women. Hearing that his new soldier never came out the worse, his interest in the child had grown.