Enchanted - Chapter 4

Thanks for reading :)

Okay so wattpad is being stupid and it wont let me do spell check so sorry for any misspelled words :D

Comment Vote Fan :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

I stared out at the ocean.

The waves getting bigger and then smaller as they reached the shore.

I leaned back on my hands as I sat on my rock.

This was my rock, I liked to come here when I need time to think.

Especially after your best friend tries to kiss you.

I frowned at the memory, why the sudden interest now? He had since I was like 13 to make a move and he decides to do it now.

I shook my head trying to get the thought out of my head. 

He's been calling for the past week asking if I'm okay. As always my answer is yes. I took a deep breath and looked at my ring.

My mother's ring.

I miss her so much, it seems like just yesterday she was making dinner and singing along to Barry Manilow. Her favorite singer.

She would always sing his song, Can't smile without you. It was her favorite song. 

I could feel my eyes starting to water.

"Harper"

I snapped my head up.

Nate stood a couple feet away from me, I blinked my tears away and smiled. "Hi Nate" I said. He smiled back. "Hey, whatcha doin?" He asked. 

I looked at the ocean, "Nothing just thinking" I answered. He smiled. "Mind if I think with you?" he asked. "Sure" I muttered.

He sat down next to me.

"Are you okay?" I heard him softly ask. I turned back to him. 

His blue eyes matched the color of the ocean. 

I smiled.

"Ya I'm fine" 

"Are you sure?" He asked. I sighed and looked at the ground. "Honestly, no" I can't believe I'm actually going to talk about this with him. "What's wrong?".

I took a deep breath.

"I just keep thinking of my mom" I whispered. It took him a couple seconds to respond, "You don't have to answer this, but, how did she pass" He softly asked. 

I could feel the tears coming back.

"She had cancer" I whispered. A tear escaped my eye. I felt a warm thumb wipe it away. I looked up. Nate gave a small smile as he pulled his thumb away. "I'm sorry" He whispered. I gave a small smile. 

"It's okay I guess, it was three years ago anyway" I sighed and rested my chin in my hands. "My mom died in a car accident" He whispered. "I'm sorry" I responded. "It's okay, I never knew her, she died when I was three months old" 

I didn't respond back, I didn't know what to say to that.

"You know my dad said she was beautiful, he also said she was always so cheerful and singing all the time" He looked up at the sky. I smiled. "My mom used to love to sing too, her favorite song was Can't smile without you" I softly responded.

He snapped his head to me, "That was my mom's favorite song too, by Barry Manilow, right?" I smiled. "Ya" I answered. 

We let out a small laugh. "Wow, who knew" He smiled at the sky. 

"You know I can't smile without you, I can't smile without you, I can't laugh and I can't sing, I'm finding hard to do anything" The lyrics escaped my lips. He looked at me and smiled.

"You see I feel sad when your sad, I feel glad when your glad, If you only knew what I'm going through, I just can't smile without you" He sang the second part softly.

We burst out in laughter.

"You know the lyrics?" I asked. He smiled. "Ya my dad used to play it a lot" I smiled at him. "My mom always used to sing it to me." I answered back. He grinned and laughed. 

"Your a good singer you know" He said. I rolled my eyes. "Shut up" I smiled. He chuckled. "You know Nate, your not so bad" I smiled. He looked at me and smiled. "Thanks" He responded as he stood up. 

"I should get going, I'll see you tomorrow" 

I smiled and stood up, "I guess I should get going to" I said. We stood in front of each other awkwardly. 

Hug him Harper.

I smiled at him.

I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck, it took him a second to respond, but he hugged my waist,

"Thanks for being there" I whispered in his ear. "Your welcome" He whispered back.  I could feel his warm breath on my neck. I pulled away and gave him one last smile before I walked away.

I could feel him staring at me as I left.

I smiled to myself as I took off running. 

As I crossed the street I saw an orange truck coming down the road. Only one person can own a truck that ugly.

Bella. 

She looked out the window and smiled as she passed me, I gave her a small smile back, I didn't hate her that much anymore since Jake said he would spend more time with me. 

I ran all the way back home.

I barged through the front door saying a quick hi to my dad who was back from his business trip. I ran up the stairs and into my room. 

"AHH"

I screamed as I saw Jake sitting on my bed, a grin on his perfect face. 

"Oh pumpkin, Jake's here" My dad yelled from downstairs. I rolled my eyes.

"Hey Harper" Jake said as he played with my blanket. "Hi there" I smiled. 

"Has your room gotten smaller?" He asked. "No you just got bigger" I answered. "Oh" He said under his breath. I rolled my eyes. "What are you doing here?" I asked as I set my bag on the floor

"What a guy can't visit his best friend" He grinned. "Ya but why?" I asked. "Will you stop with the questions" I laughed. "I only asked one" I said back. 

"Are you mad at me?" He asked.

I frowned at him. 

"No, not anymore" I smiled as I grabbed my pj's that consisted of grey sweat pants that reached my ankles and a simple blue tank top. I walked into my bathroom and slipped them on. "Okay good" He smiled as I walked out of the bathroom.

I pulled my hair into a ponytail. 

"Are you going to bed now?" He asked. "Pretty obvious isn't it" I answered. "Oh, can I just stay a little longer with you" He asked. 

I took a deep breath.

"I guess" I whispered as I got into bed. He turned off the light and layed down next to me. "Harper?" 

"Yes"

"I love you" He whispered.

I smiled to myself. 

"I love you too Jake..."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Short yet good enough :)

Comment, Vote, and Fan! :D