Chapter 4

Percy's point of view

I eventually did get a full-time job and got an apartment of my own. I think if it wasn't for Silena and my mom and Paul I would have completely shut out everyone. I had no interest in being hurt like that again. I doubted that I would ever be able to love someone in a romantic way again. Not after what Annabeth did. Weeks turned into months as I lived my somewhat normal life in the city. Every so often a monster would come after me, but I would always defeat them quickly. Especially if I had Silena with me. I wouldn't let anything happen to my little girl.

About seven months after Silena arrived she was crawling around on the floor when I picked her up. After I did she looked right at me with those sea green eyes that were identical to my own and said "Dada."

At that moment I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face when my little girl said her first word. I felt happy, and that was an emotion I don't feel as much these days. Silena seemed to one of the few who could actually cheer me up. She has never had to speak to do it either, all the things she did, all the little moments with her as I raised her. She could easily bring a smile to my face.

Mind you it wasn't quite as enjoyable when she would wake up in the middle of the night, or when she would start crying in a public place, and changing her diapers wasn't exactly fun but all the good moments outweighed the less enjoyable ones. Moments like her saying her first word were what made it all worth it.

Silena may have been far from planned, but I certainly wasn't complaining either. Sure it certainly isn't easy taking care of her by myself even with Mom and Paul's help but I don't mind. Without her I would have been a shell of my former self, she gave me a reason to keep going. I had managed to become friends with a couple of my coworkers, and I hang out with them sometimes, but usually, when I'm not working I'm at home with Silena.

I still had no clue about who her mother was, but I suppose it's still a bit early for her to really do anything that would hint at that. I try not to think about the fact that I will eventually have to return to camp with her, and I can only hope that when that time comes she won't end up tangled in some new prophecy, or even a war. Those thoughts made me reluctant to take her, but I knew I had too, it was the only place she would be safe from the monsters that already come after me, and will eventually come after her.

Sally's Point of View

After Percy returned from camp and told me that Annabeth had broken up with him I was rather angry at Annabeth since I could see just how much she had hurt Percy. When I found out that after she broke up with him he had gone to a bar and gotten quite drunk I was shocked, even though he was old enough to drink he had never really seemed interested in trying alcohol of any kind. That in itself made it obvious just how much Annabeth had hurt him.

the day that he came into the apartment with Silena I was kind of shocked, although I had gotten used to crazy things happening a while ago I certainly hadn't been expecting a grandchild. Paul and I helped Percy take care of Silena, and he stayed with us until he could afford an apartment of his own. I told him he didn't have to move out but I think he felt like he should. I was pretty sure he felt that by doing so he would be protecting us, that and the fact that I'm pretty sure he felt bad every time Silena would wake us up at night. It didn't really bother me but he still moved out once he could afford it.

I could see that many of the things that used to make Percy happy didn't anymore. He was never as excited about my cooking as he used to be. The only things that seemed to bring a smile to his face these days were Silena, and when he used to talk about the animals he had helped at the rescue shelter that he had volunteered at for a while before he got a full-time job. When he had gotten the new job he knew that he didn't have time for both so he stopped volunteering at the shelter.

I knew that Poseidon had visited Percy a few times since Percy left camp, and according to Percy he had seemed pleased when he found out about Silena, I couldn't help but wonder if he had seen the same thing that I had. I was pretty sure that he had also seen that If it wasn't for Silena Percy would have become a shell of his former self. As it was Percy doesn't joke around like he used to, it is obvious that what Annabeth did still hurt him, and I know that Percy won't be over it anytime soon. Even before this I had kind of suspected that if Percy ever had children he would be an amazing father. After I helped him out a bit that thought was proven true, it was obvious how much he cared for Silena, and he was quite protective of her. I hoped that Someday Percy would get over Annabeth, and maybe even find love again, I didn't want what Annabeth did to him to make him quiet and closed off forever but only time will tell.