Chapter 3

Serena awoke at the sound of knocking at her door. She sat up and tidied herself appropriately.

"Enter." She said.

"Good morning your highness." Said her maid, Iris. She carried in a tray with the princess' breakfast and laid on her lap.

"Thank you, humble servant." Serena said sticking her nose in the air.

"Why of course it is but my humble biding ma'am." Iris said bow her head. The two then paused for a moment to look at each other before collapsing in a fit of giggles. Serena then moved her tray of food to her bedside table to allow her maid and best friend to sit down.

"So, I heard your getting married huh?" Said Iris.

"Mm." Serena nodded lowering her head.

"Hey don't worry, you never know maybe one of the princes will turn out ok." Said Iris.

"Huh, I guess but still I can't help but feel like finding true love shouldn't be set up like this. It should be special." She said desperately.

"I know how you must be feeling. But don't worry I have a foolproof plan to help make you feel better."

"Really? How?" Serena asked. Iris got up and headed to the door. She checked outside to make sure no one was listening then produced a black cape and plain white dress from her apron pocket. She tossed them at Serena and told her to put them on. Serena didn't understand what was going on but got changed all the same. She emerged looking incredibly different from her normal appearance and not at all like a princess.

"Perfect!" Exclaimed Iris clasping her hands together.

"What is? Iris whats going on?" Serena asked.

"Well I'll say your sick and refuse to be taken care of by anyone other than me." Iris explained tucking some cushions in Serena's bed so it looked like she was there. "Meanwhile you can sneak out and enjoy a day to yourself." She said opening the balcony doors and gesturing for Serena to leave. Serena stared at her friend with tears in her eyes and a huge smile spread across her face. She ran over and hugged her as hard as possible.

"Thank you, Thank you." She sobbed into Iris's shoulder. She quickly responded by rubbing Serena's back trying to calm her.

"Now get out there and have some fun!" She said jumping so her large mass of purple hair almost fell out of it's ponytail. (She would prefer to wear it as she does in the anime but the queen wouldn't hear of it).

"Thanks I won't forget this Iris." Serena said. She then lifted her hood and hopped over the balcony.

"Fenn?" Fennekin said looking worried.

"Don't worry fennekin. I promise I'll be back soon, meanwhile you stay with Iris ok. She could use your help." Serena giggled before beginning her descent. Iris went over and stroked fennekin as she watched her friend fun off through the garden. 'good luck Serena.' She thought before setting about her plan to make sure no one knew she had gone.

Serena stared in awe at the tall brick buildings and cute cobble streets. There were strings of lanterns hanging from house to house all over the square, It was beautiful. She wandered through the streets looking into shop windows occasionally. Practically everything she owned had been bought for her, without her consent. She enjoyed staring at the display of clothes and pots and pictures and other things, she thought how wonderful it would be to be able to buy things she chose for a change. Unfortunately she had no money, everything she had at the palace was paid for her. So she just kept walking. The street narrowed a little and she knew she ought to turn back but she was a curious girl and just couldn't resist the temptation. She came to a small door in the wall surrounding the kingdom, she hesitated slightly but eventually decided to open it. It lead into a beautiful field of flowers surrounded by the great forest.

She let out a gasp of delight and clasped her hands together. Never before had she laid eyes on such a beautiful scene. She started humming to herself almost without realising she began dancing to the tune. Spinning and leaping in and out of the flowers, her feet barely brushing the ground as her graceful glides sucked her unknowingly into the wood. She kept her eyes shut the entire time, yet somehow she didn't touch one tree. She was so happy, for the first time in her life she was alone and free. Free to do what ever she desired without anyone to tell her otherwise. She became so lost in her song she managed to dance her way to a mountain stream that ran through the forest. She didn't even notice the sound of the running water, until it was to late.

"Ahh!" She cried as she slipped on the bank and began falling into the river. She shut her eyes and braced for the impact, but it never came. When she opened her eyes she saw a boy with his hand clasped in hers, preventing her from falling. He gave a sharp tug and she drew away from the water. However he'd pulled a little to hard and she fell forwards into a sort of hug with this boy. (just like in the anime. Sept you know with a river this time. Anyway back to the story). She drew back to get a better look at his face, he had quite good sharp facial features even though they appeared to be covered in some kind of grime. He also had messy black hair hanging around his face and sticking out in places, it looked to her as if he hadn't brushed it for years. But despite his initial messy appearance he was still very handsome. He was slightly muscular but still very skinny. He had deep tanned skin and soft chocolate eyes that made her heart melt in an instant.

Review and Share :)