Chapter 12

At the palace...

"Mmm" Serena yawned as she awoke. She sat up for a second then rubbed her eyes, before falling straight back down again letting out an irritated moan. She really wanted to lie in this morning as she was so tired. She'd been up most of the night worrying about the ball. He mother expected her to chose a husband from the princes attending. But she wanted to marry for love. A few days ago she had held onto the hope that perhaps she could fall in love with one of these princes. Until yesterday, for that was the day she had fallen in love. But with a commoner, her mother would never allow her to marry him. She knew this meant that she would have to spend the rest of her life with a man she did not love.

So that pretty much sums up Serena's thought process for the night and the reason she was now laying on her bed; to distraught and tired to get up. A knock sounded at her door causing her to groan in annoyance.

"Whats the problem, your highness." Iris said as she entered. She joked around curtseying just as she always did expecting Serena to act like a prissy princess as normal. She was very surprised when Serena merely fell back on her bed.

"I'm not in the mood today Iris." She moaned.

"Whats gotten you so crabby?" Iris asked, sitting on the bed beside her.

"Nothing. Aside from the fact that I'm in love with a man I can never see again; and have to marry some stranger. All is well." She said, her voice was positively dripping with sarcasm.

"Come on. I'm sure it'll all be fine, you never know. Maybe of you explain, your mum will understand enough to let you be with Ash." Iris said stroking Serena's hair, trying her best to sooth her.

"You think so?" Serena asked. Iris could clearly make out the element of hope in her voice, she knew she had to hold onto that.

"Yes. Now you better get, you have to prepare for the ball remember." Iris said getting up.

"What!" Serena cried sitting up. "The ball's today! I totally forgot!" She complained. She rushed over to her wardrobe and began frantically pulling out her clothes. Iris laughed and started making her bed.

'Good to have you back' she thought