Chapter 28

Serena and Gary finished up their walk and headed back into the palace. The minute they were out of the public eye Serena pulled away from Gary. He smirked at her and tried to keep a tight hold round her waste.

"Let go of me!" She cried angrily hitting his chest.

"Oh come one," He sneered. "Don't deny that your hopelessly in love with me." He tightened his grip and pulled her even closer. She gave him a loud smack across the cheek and wrenched herself free.

"I love Ash not you." She said firmly.

"Seriously, why would you want an some loser muck boy when you could have all this?" He gestured to himself arrogantly.

"Don't you dare insult him." Serena said with venom seething through her tone. "Ash is sweet and friendly and funny and he makes my heart skip a beat. You and me don't have anything special why can you not see that." Her voice began to break at the end and tears had begun glinting behind her eyes. A flash of hurt appeared in Gary's eyes. But he soon concealed it again.

"I see." He said, "I understand." He turned away from Serena. She was in utter shock, had he just said he understood?

"Is there something you want to tell me?" Serena asked in a knowing way. Gary sighed and walked over to a sofa. He sat down then motioned for Serena to sit beside him. She kept her eyes fixed on him the whole time, then when they were both settled Serena sat silently signalling Gary to speak.

He signed once more and began to talk.

"When I was younger I was like Ash, I use to be so kind to all the people I knew and didn't care for all the power I had being a prince." Serena gasped at this, the 'Great Prince Gary of Kanto' didn't use to care about power!

"But then I fell in love and everything changed." He continued. Serena gasped once more but still didn't talk, desperate to hear the rest of his tale.

"There was this maid in the palace, she and I were the same age and had come to really enjoy each others company. I would always ask for her name but she kept refusing to tell me, we use to play games where I would try to guess it was a lot of fun actually. And as time went by we realised we both had strong feelings for each other and planed to marry when we where old enough." Gary stopped to breath for a minute; Serena was in total shock by all this and wondered what had happened to change Gary. She would soon find out as he continued the story.

"We kept our engagement a secret so no one would come between us. But unfortunately my father had grown suspicious and ordered one of the guards to spy on me. When my dad found out I was planning to marry he hit the roof. He immediately sent her away and kept me locked up in the tower of the castle till I'd 'learnt to be a proper prince'." He let out one final sigh of sadness then looked to Serena. He was a bit taken aback to see the honey haired princess staring at him with tears streaming down her face. She flung herself around him and began sobbing 'sorrys' and 'deepest regrets' at him. He just froze to shocked to return the hug; 5 minutes ago he would have been all over this kind of treatment but now it seemed his heart just wasn't in it. He pushed her away and looked into her soft blue eyes.

"Thank you." He said seriously giving her a long hard stare to show her he was being 100% honest.

"Why?" She question.

"You reminded me of who I really am, after I lost my nameless love I started to let what my father said change me. But now I realise that I will always have caring in my heart deep down." He smiled as he spoke.

"Oh, well your welcome." Serena said.

"I also know that deep down I still love her and you love Ash. So your right there is nothing between us." Gary said.

"Mm mm." Serena said wagging her finger in his face. "Your wrong." She smirked.

"What do you mean?" He asked puzzled.

"There is something between us. It's called friendship." Serena said giving Gary a genuine smile for once. He happily returned the smile and stretched out his hand. The to shook warmly and accepted each other as friends.

"There is still the problem of our arranged marriage. Now that our parents have agreed they will never let us back out." Gary sighed sadly. Serena stood up, her face was so downcast Gary couldn't even imagine how she was feeling. She left without saying anything else. Gary let out yet another sigh. He rested his arms on his knees and looked at his feet, wishing he could do something to help his new friend.

"Hey, I uh couldn't help but overhear your chat with Serena." Someone said. Gary looked up to see Serena's maid Iris. She had a kind of clever smile on her face. "I take it you no longer wish to marry Serena." She said. It was more of a statement then a question but Gary decided to elaborate anyway.

"Serena's sweet and I'm proud to be her friend; but there's just no special connection between us. I don't feel for her in the way I did for my childhood love. And I know she has that same spark with Ash." He looked to the ceiling and smiled all of a sudden. " I lost the girl I love because of these stupid royals laws, I hate to see Serena going through the same thing. He said allowing his smile to fade.

"Well what if I told I knew a way to get you out of this marriage and Ash in instead." Iris said flashing a sly smile. Gary thought it over then gave her an equally sly grin.

"I'm listening..." He smirked.