Chapter 13

In the barn...

Ash stirred slowly in his sleep. He opened his eyes slowly, looking up at the beams above the barn. He groaned groggily and sat up. He began to stroke Pikachu as he thought of the dream he had been having. He had dreamt he and Serena were kissing in the glade when all of a sudden beautiful golden wings sprouted from their backs and they jumped off the cliff together. They flew away hand in hand knowing they were both free to be together forever. Until Ash woke up and realised he was still under hid uncles thumb, the village loser and there was no way Serena loved him. Today happened to be the day of Serena's ball. Everyone in the village was going and there were rumours that the princes from other regions would also be attending. Ash felt a sharp pang in his heart at the thought of Serena dancing with some handsome prince. It hurt him to know someone else would be marrying the girl he loved. But then again maybe it was for the best; Serena deserved to be happy after all. And to marry someone worthy of her, like a prince. Not a good for nothing loser who spends all day on his hands and knees scrounging in the muck.

But still no matter how much Ash tried to convince himself that Serena did not love him and he should not love her. His heart had a different opinion.

"I wish I was good enough for the princess." He said allowed. His hollow words echoed throughout the barn. He realised it was doing him no good moping about his pathetic life. He let out a loud yawn and rolled onto the floor. He looked over at Pikachu,who was still fast asleep. He decided to leave him there for the time being and get to work before his uncle killed him. He was just reaching for the door handle when a hand appeared on his shoulder making him jump.

"Wait," The hands owner said in a calm emotionless voice. Ash turned to see who had spoken, when he saw her he was quite taken aback. She was a little much older and her hair had grown down around her waist, she was also sporting some kind of maids uniform. But her eyes hadn't changed one bit, they were exactly as Ash remembered. He just stared in shock at the girl in front of him, he thought he would never see her again.

"May?"...