Chapter Five

Don't Close Your Eyes Chapter Five

Sitting on Isaac's porch Zac watched as the sun went down. It was the end of another beautiful Oklahoma day. A day in which he had been productive. Taking a sip of the coke that Isaac had gotten him he smiled some. He was doing his best not to think of Taylor who had been back for a week now.

Isaac looked over at his younger brother and smiled some. He was proud of Zac because not once during their chopping wood today had Zac mentioned Taylor and he knew that Zac was upset about Taylor being back. Heck he was upset too. With Taylor leaving he had lost something he loved too his brother and band mate.

"I'm planning on asking Liz to marry me tonight," Zac said breaking the silence between the brothers. Reaching into his pocket he took out the box containing the ring. Handing it to Isaac he bit his lip not sure what Isaac's reaction to it would be. Zac knew he was eighteen going on nineteen but he wanted this. He wanted to marry Liz and spend the rest of his life with her.

Taking the box from Zac, Isaac opened it and looked at the ring his breath catching some. The ring had been their grandmother Jane's ring. He knew their mother had said whoever popped the question first would be the one to get the ring. Smiling Isaac knew the ring would look good on Liz's finger so he hoped she said yes to him.

"What do you think?" Zac asked standing from the chair he had been sitting in. Hopefully Isaac was okay with his choice. He wanted his big brother's approval. He had always liked having Isaac's approval on things.

Thinking for a second Isaac smiled some, "It would look good on Liz and I hope she says yes," he said being honest.

Hearing Isaac, Zac grinned, "I hope so too," he said putting the box back in his pocket and heading to his truck. He could hear Isaac following behind him. "I will call you tomorrow and let you know the answer," he said getting in the truck. Starting it he drove off heading home. His hopes were high right now.

Watching Zac drive away Isaac smiled. Turning he went inside the house he shared with his girlfriend of two years. Going into the kitchen he walked over to her and let his arms wrap around her waist, "I love you Sara Louise Rupert," he muttered into her ear before kissing her cheek.

Sara who had been making dinner smiled as she felt Isaac's arms wrap around her and she smiled even wider hearing what he said, "I love you too Clarke Isaac Hanson," she said turning her head slightly and pecking his lips. "What did you and Zac talk about?" she asked curiously as she went back to making dinner not caring that his arms were around her.

"Not much," Isaac said as he let his arms move from Sara and he slowly moved some so he was standing beside her and leaning against the sink. "Zac didn't talk much. I think it was to avoid speaking of Taylor," he said as he rolled his eyes just mentioning Taylor's name. "Zac is kind of depressed about it. He doesn't have to say it he just shows it," Isaac sighed sadly. He knew Zac well enough to pick up on the way his mannerisms and whole demeanor changed when he was depressed.

Sara frowned some hearing Isaac speak. She and Isaac had started dating after Taylor had left so she had never met him but she had heard about him. She knew of Liz and Taylor's history, "I feel bad for Zac," she said honestly. She knew he was more than likely hurting about Taylor being back.

"He plans on asking Liz to marry him tonight," Isaac said looking down at the floor. Looking back up he saw Sara needed a few more tomatoes and he went to the fridge getting the tomatoes out for her. Walking over to where she was again he handed her the tomatoes.

Taking the tomatoes from Isaac, Sara smiled, "I hope Liz says yes," she said honestly as she began to chop up the tomatoes she had been handed. "She's the type of girl Zac deserves and needs."

Shrugging Isaac frowned, "I hope so too but a part of me just doesn't think she will," he admitted out loud. He had tried to be optimistic but he knew just how much Liz loved Taylor. Everyone did. "I don't want Zac upset but I am afraid he will be," Isaac muttered as he left the kitchen and went into the living room. Looking out their picture window at the night sky he frowned more. He was trying to prepare himself for a disappointed phone call in the morning from his brother.

Sara frowned at Isaac's words. Hearing his footsteps as he left the kitchen she kept working on supper. She hoped Isaac was wrong. She hoped Liz said yes to Zac. They would make a good couple and she knew even though Zac was young he would love Liz unconditionally. He was too much like Isaac and well she was sure Isaac loved her unconditionally.

Moving away from the window Isaac decided to stop pondering on his depressive thoughts, "I am going to take a shower babe," he called as he headed towards the bathroom. He knew he needed one after chopping wood.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Standing up after being in Taylor's arms for awhile Liz reached for her clothes and got dressed. She couldn't believe she had cheated on Zac. She felt bad and guilty yet a part of her was happy too. Was that even possible? She didn't know yet it was how she felt.

Watching Liz stand up Taylor frowned some but soon he stood up as well and got dressed, "You okay?" he asked as he watched her. She was being awful quite and he was worried.

"Yeah I am fine," Liz nodded after she was dressed. "I was just...I was just thinking of Zac," she sighed as she admitted that he was on her mind. "I mean I cheated on him," she frowned saying the words outloud. "I never wanted to cheat on anyone...not after..." she said her words trailing off.

"After I cheated on you," Taylor said continuing her words for her. He had cheated on her with her youngest sister Andrea. After Liz had found out they had gotten into the argument that had led to her miscarriage.

Nodding Liz ran a hand through her hair and stayed silent. She was disappointed in herself and she almost felt like being sick but she kept herself from being sick.

Frowning Taylor pulled Liz into a hug, "It will be okay," he said kissing her forehead. He always liked that she was shorter than him, "When you get home just explain to Zac what happened and then end things," he said before pulling away. He figured by them having sex that Liz was ready to be his fully and completely again.

Looking down Liz shook her head, "He wouldn't understand," she said knowing Zac would flip. "And I can't just end things. I..he hasn't done anything wrong," she said unsure whether to state that on some level she cared for Zac. She cared for Zac more than she had meant and maybe somewhere in there she loved him as well.

"You can end things," Taylor said reassuring her. "You can do it for us," he said before taking one of her hands and bringing it to his lips. Kissing her hand quickly he soon walked her back onto the trail and towards her car.

Nodding again Liz followed him to her car. Maybe he was right. Maybe she could end things with Zac but he would still be pissed that she had cheated, "He still wouldn't understand my cheating."

"No," Taylor said shaking his head as well. "He wouldn't understand your cheating right then but eventually when he finds his soul mate he will," he said as he stopped walking once they were at Liz's car. "He will understand everything then," Taylor said leaning down and pecking her lips.

Pecking Taylor's lips back Liz hoped he was right, "I'll call you tomorrow after I talk with Zac," she said getting in her car and starting it. She was not feeling optimistic at all about what was to come but it had to be done. Giving Taylor one last glance she drove away.